Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this "Just another Center Sec Chrono"? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
...but my watchmaker found a minute wheel from another watch and made it fit.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
OOps, I got my pictures mixed up again. Here is the complete movement.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
I don't know the value of this piece, but I'm sure it is worth at least twice what it was before he repaired it for me.

posted
As you can see, there is some damage to the dial, but at least it is complete.

posted
Is this a swiss movement? Does anyone have any idea of the vintage of this one?

Steve G.

posted
This watch is about 18 size, by the way.

posted
It does say "swiss made" on the dial and the main spring bridge.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

Loomes 21st Cen. has Thomas Russel & Son Slater Street Liverpool 1840-51, then Church St. Liverpool 1906, Makers to the Queen, later Russels LTD.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thanks a lot, Tom. They must have been fairly presteigeous dealers.

Steve G.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

I found this on the internet.

"Thomas Russell is first listed as a watch manufacturer in 1848 and he had premises at 20 Slater Street, Liverpool. At a later date, he moved to 30 Slater Street where the ‘Russell Time O’Day watches’ were manufactured. About 1859, Thomas appears to have handed over the control of the company to Thomas Robert Russell and Alfred Holgate Russell, and the firm changed it’s name to Thomas Russell and Son. By 1877 the company moved premises to Church Street, Liverpool. The partnership between Thomas Robert and Alfred ended in 1870. Thomas Russell & Son, after Queen Victoria’s death, signed their watches ‘Makers to Queen Victoria’ even though officially the warrant had ceased with the Queens death. This was tolerated for a time before it was removed from their watches.. Thomas Robert continued as the proprietor of the Russell Watch and Chronometer Manufactory at Cathedral Works, 18 Church Street, Liverpool with addresses in Piccadilly, London and Toronto, Canada. This became Russell’s Limited in 1894. From this date it seems that they continued as retail jewelers with branches in Liverpool and, by the early 1900’s, Manchester and Llandudno. Alfred Russell continued the company of Thomas Russell and Son (Alfred Russell & Co). This company was listed in 1880 as ‘watch and chronometer manufacturers and machine made keyless lever and jewelery merchants by appointment to Her majesty the Queen and HRM the Duke of Edinburgh and the Admiralty’. In 1881, they became importers of Swiss watches, music boxes etc. Eventually, the firm was converted to a limited company and by 1938 had become Thomas Russell & Son Watch Co Ltd. "

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is a link to a site where the author worked for Thomas & Sons you might want to read Steve.

http://www.sjsfiles.btinternet.co.uk/memone.htm

Tom

posted
My gosh, what a fountain of information! Thanks again, Tom!

Steve G.