Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elsine Roskopf 'Railway Regulator' "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Did anyone Really Regulate Railways with these things?? Eek

Did it ever do what it states on the dial I wonder?

Another Roskopf type which can be compared to the other one I posted.

This one has plain brass plates and conical balance staff pivots.

No jewels anywhere, and no pretentions to Any form of timekeeping regulation, other than making sure it's in beat and tweaking the length of the hairspring!

John

Elsine Railway Regulator

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Elsine Roskopf Movement.

I wonder what the 'Special' adjustments were ????

John.

Elsine Movement

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
The bit that ticks - and Tick they do!
Like a big old alarm clock!

John

Escapement

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Hi John,
I just couldn't resist posting these. This was one of my Granddad's watches and now mine. It is pretty crude, or maybe it was better than I give it credit for. Check this.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Movement !!

Bill Carlson

posted
Nice one Bill,
If those jewels are for real though, that Swiss movement is of a better grade of its type than I've seen for a while.

Wonder what was in the case originally, looks to have had maybe a couple of swaps there - if only they could talk, just think of the stories eh! Razz

I just love the Loco drawings on these dials, beautifully naive.

John

posted
Here is a web site on Roskopf watches and a photo of mine and you are right the tick is real loud.
http://www.musketeer.ch/watches/roskopf.html
Here are some photo's of mine.I think these were the swiss dollar watch.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Great reference to Roskopf watches Mike, thanks for posting the link.

Your watch appears to be the early type too with the platform escapement.
I've had a lot of Roskopf watches through my hands over the years, but Never had hold of one of those yet!
Must be quite a rare animal now I would guess.

Thanks for the photo's.

Best regards

John

posted
Great link Mike, thank you

You are right: this were the swiss dollar watches

The intention was to build a watch that cold be bought for a weeks pay of a worker. The Roskopf watches and the dollar watches were made by millions, they were cheap and nowadays real good ones are not so often to be found. Both are pieces of horological history. If one gets some of lesser quality they are thankfull objekts for first steps in cleaning, repairing and restauration operations.

Bill your watch is something different:
a swiss made movement made for the american market, not typical swiss made for that time. Let's say it's a homage to american watches.

It is from your Granddad so it is priceless. Keep it in honour no matter how it looks like.

Regards Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Gerald and John,
The interesting thing also is the back is worn to the brass all the way around, so it must have been carried a lot. Surprisingly it actually runs real well.
I have two Granddad's pocket watches and a Great Granddad's.
I can't quite decide what the Waltham Model is and it may not have all of the original parts. But he wore it in his bibs everyday from 1913 til 1979. It still runs great. Here is a photo of the two movements. Maybe someone can identify the Waltham for me.

Bill Carlson

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Bill....your Waltham is a model 1883, grade 825, 17 jewel with the patent regulator. The Elgin, if the serial # is 2046378, is a grade 98, class 14, 7 jewel made in about 1886. Grade 98 was only made for about 2 years and this was in the last of 3 runs of 6,000 total. I'm not sure about the Elgin serial number. If its not the above, let me know and I will look up the data for the correct number.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Mary Ann,
Thanks for the information. Your quick! Here is a better photo of the Elgin with the # that will change everything. I should mention that both have Silveroid cases and dials that are like new. The Elgin has roman numerals.

Bill Carlson

posted
Bill...Elgin serial #3046378 is a model 5, grade 73, 7 jewel made in 1888 in a run of 3,000. Total production of this grade was 659,000.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Mary Ann
Thanks for the information on the watches. I think I have found where to find the Elgin information now! Is there a good place to get the Waltham information like there is for Elgin.
There is a great group of people on this site and they are always ready to help. Also there is always someone on here compared to the other non mentionable site.
Thanks

Bill Carlson

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Bill here is the info on the Waltham that I have found....

Model: 1883 Name:
Material: U Grade: No. 825,
Size: 18 Size: 18
Plate: FP Plate:
Jewelling: Jewels: 17
Balance: Bal: Pat. Reg. - Breg. HS
Style: OF Style:
O.F.

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Bill....here is the Waltham database site I use for serial number look ups-

Waltham Serial Number Look Up

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Mary Ann and Jerry,
Thanks for the information and help on these watches.
Bill

Bill Carlson

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Mary Ann, Is that lookup now gone?

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Phillip

I noticed the site has been down for a few days, it does that every now & again, hopefully it is coming back.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks, Tom for the quick response. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Just looking I think the site maybe down for a while or perhaps moved to a new address.

The Waltham serial number database was/is part of the NAWCC, if you go to their home page apparently they are replace their entire site & it states the following
"The new area, Horology Central, is the least developed at this point, but it will see tremendous expansion over the next several years. Horology Central will provide links to other horology resources, databases of available horological information, digitized versions of archival materials, photos, videos, collections, and other resources."

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Hmmmmmmm. Will check that out and get back to this thread. Confused