Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

CONCORD SWISS POCKET WATCH "Click" to Login or Register 
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
This watch has come in to my possesion. I am trying to find out something about it.
So far I have not been able to get at the movement for serial #'s etc.
I have gone to google and ask. com, not much info out there.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
can't get there from here

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Tried the fingernail at the 6 o'clock position
Really trying to find out if it is even worth it to have it COA. Has any one had experience with a similar watch? Smile

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Phil,

These are fairly ordinary mechanical watches.

You can open it, I'm sure. In your second image my impression is of there being a secondary dust cover. Otherwise, there would not be a hinged back! The secondary cover should be something that with a strong, thin blade you could pry open. Be sure you are prying at the right place. Where the secondary cover "bulges out" follow that to the edge, find the thin separation and then pry very, very carefully.

We'll be looking forward to seeing the movement.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Lin, as usual you were exactly right. Smile
Here is the movement and it is ordinary.
But, even an ordinary pocket watch is better than no watch at all and deserves to be refreshed. Here it comes Samie. Big Grin

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Glad you got it open Phil. Take a close look, that is an Incablock balance, the watch movement looks rugged and should be a reliable timekeeper.

Samie will make it sing!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Philip,

Looks like a Unitas based movement, as most modern pocketwatches are. Should be a durable and reliable movement.

Concord is a mystery to me. They produce high-end luxury watches using fairly generic movements. They seem to be well regarded, but don't hold their value too well, at least in wristwatches. I think Lindell is right, this should make a nice daily carry watch.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Cary, actually the watch belonged to Sonia's father. He died about 15 years ago and we just ran across it. The case is in a really used condition, however the dial is perfect and the hands have a delicacy to them. I am sending it to Samie. He needs to see what the Swiss have been up to. Big Grin

posted
I did the same research on Concord, after I bought a Marine Chronograph. I came to the same conclusion. Fairly high-end wristwatches that don't seem to generate a whole lot of collector interest.

The Marine Chronograph was a total mystery until I came across an old ad, for-sale on eBay, that advertised them for sale. The one displayed in the ad was identical to mine and cost $435.00 in the early-mid 50's. Of course I bought the ad and framed it above the chronograph. Gorgeous thing, very accurate and high-end.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Here's the ad.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Concord most certainly had a better and well-deserved reputation in the past. I have a very nice double-dial clock made for Tiffany & Co that has a Concord movement. It probably dates from the '20s. I will try to take and post a good picture of it this evening.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This is a double-dial clock, with an identical dial on the back. It could sit on a desk so that the person sitting at the desk and a visitor could both see the time, but I think a more common use might have been on a nightstand between his and hers beds. As I recall the Concord movement is very nicely finished, but I do not have a photo of it right now.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the back dial off to photograph the movement. The minute pinion and hour wheel are not visible as I left them on the hands when I pulled the dial.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

What an interesting clock!

I see the "glow-in-the-dark" hands and dots but am curious about how to set the time. Since it is mechanical, and there is a dial on each side is it set and wound from the base? What is the overall height?

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The clock winds and set through the base. It stands about 4 inches high.