• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Swiss pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Swiss pocket watches don't seem to make it very often on to these boards, I thought that members may enjoy seeing this one that I bought in a street market in Switzerland last Christmas.

The dial is translucent mother of pearl, presumably enamel. The case has Swiss silver hallmarks. There is no maker's name or mark.

posted
Reverse case

posted
Closer

posted
Inner cuvette

posted
And the nameless movement..
How could anybody make a watch like this and not sign it??

posted
Irwin,

I like it! Smile
Thanks for posting the photo's.

Like you, I often wonder how craftsmen can spend hours putting all that kit together and then not sign either the dial or plates.
Looks to be a half decent movement too, and the timing screws may be gold!

Those translucent enamel dials are superb too, sadly they crack all to often, but looks like you got a good one there!

Looking at the condition of the screws on the movement, it's not been tampered with at all - a very nice carefully used example I'd say!

Something that did strike me, is the similarity of the movement to those used by H.Williamson - can't recall the name of the other company that used a similar style at the moment, but I'll come back with it when my brain engages again!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John,

I think this one meets the classical definition of a Swiss watch - always on time and never breaks down. It is probably 1900ish and its perfect condition after 100 years of use attests to the quality of craftmanship that went into its making.

I'm going back this Christmas to see what else he's got...