Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New Ball Watch Purchase "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi All,
I just won this Ball watch and I was wondering if somebody can tell me the production date and what company that made it (ie: Waltham; Hamilton, etc.)
As you can see it needs a dial and a nice period case but that will come with time. I have taken to restoring watches as a task in life.
The serial number is B210828 and it is a 19 jewel open face, lever set Ball and that is about all I know.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Gary

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Picture of movement

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Gary, B210828 is a Ball-Waltham Official Standard model, which was produced in a mixed run of 7200 watches made in 1905. This run included 17, 19 & 21-jewel Official Standard watches and also Railroad Brotherhood watches.

All Official Standard watches were railroad grade and railroad approved.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Ed,
Thanks for all that wonderful information.
By the way you don't know where I might pick up a dial?
Cheers
Gary

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
You're welcome.

You can get a new dial for it, either reproduction or original, on eBay using the search function. My advice would be to get an original Ball-Waltham dial. They are available in decent condition for reasonable prices.

Another thing you can do is post in the horological items wanted to buy section of our mart.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Edward,
Thanks for that and I have been looking on the Bay for dials but at present not a lot to look at.
I will try the mart and see what responce I get.
Cheers
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi Everyone,
Sorry for not posting these earlier but better late than never.
I picked up a new dial and a nice gold filled case.
I hope you like them.
Cheers
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
one of the movement

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Back of case

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Cuvet

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Good going Gary, nice restoration job! Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I will second that. Nice restoration and a beautiful case.
Ed

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Thanks Guys,
Even though the case is not a "Ball" case do you think it is period to the movement.

Cheers
Gary