Internet Horology Club 185
Ball Elinvar Question

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2121060351/m/7913904477

September 05, 2012, 18:47
Nick Davenport
Ball Elinvar Question
I was told that some 999B watches were Elinvars and were not marked, but the way you could tell was if it had a silver balance wheel and weights.Is there any truth to this. Thanks Nick
September 06, 2012, 12:35
Lindell V. Riddle

Welcome Aboard Nick,

It would be easier to respond had you included your movement number for clarification.

All the Ball 999B movements are clearly marked as such, but will not have specific "Elinvar" markings. However, they do have an "Elinvar-Extra" hairspring and solid balance wheel as shown in the image below. On both these features they are identical to the contemporary Hamilton 992B movements. Production numbers on the Ball-Hamilton 999B are detailed along with all 16-size Ball-Hamilton movements here...

16-size Ball-Hamilton 999 and 999B Movement Numbers and Years Listing

Hope this is of help to you and others.

Lindell

Wink

Typical Ball-Hamilton 999B from my collection...

September 12, 2012, 19:41
Nick Davenport
Lynn, thanks for your call and response to my question. I have been collecting Pocket watches since 1970 and have settled on Ball watches,I see I have a lot to learn. I recently acquired an 18 size single roller that needed work, I will send photos etc when it returns so that it can be added to your data base. Thanks again and I'm sure I will be needing more education. Nick