Tools
Reply to Post

2006 Ward Francillon Time Symposium "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Everyone,

We are proud that Internet Horology Chapter 185 along with Pocket Horology Chapter 174 and Lake Erie Chapter 28 are co-sponsoring the 2006 Ward Francillon Time Symposium in Cleveland and Kent, Ohio focusing on the Ball Watch Company Thursday October 26, Friday October 27, and Saturday October 28, of this year.

Those seeking accommodations may contact the Crowne Plaza Cleveland City Centre Hotel (formerly Sheraton City Centre) in Cleveland, Ohio at 1-800-321-1090 for reservations. Be sure to call by October 12 and mention the Ward Francillon Time Symposium in order to get the special rate available to our attendees.

Here is the link to additional information...

The 2006 Ward Francillon Time Symposium

And here are details of this interesting three day program...

Complete Program 2006 Ward Francillon Time Symposium

I will attend at least part of the event and look forward to seeing you there.

In our Ball Watch Company Research Forum we'll be sharing some worthwhile images.

So... stay tuned!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
I'm registered and booked!

I've been looking forward to this one for some time. I hope to see a bunch of Chapter members there.

I'll be wearing my IHC pin! Big Grin

Ron

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
All registering IHC members are invited to the General Chairman's post-banquet party in his suite. See you there.

Clint Geller, General Chair

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
Picture of Pete Cronos
posted
quote:
Symposium

Please give more info on what goes on at the Symposium for the ones who have never attended one. I would love to attend but 800 miles of road time is a problem.
THANKS
PETE CRONOS

Posts: 121 | Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas USA | Registered: April 23, 2003
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
Hi Pete,

What goes on is some very high quality presentations by leading horological scholars, lots of discussion thereof, the usual shmoozing and comradery amongst serious collectors, some partying in the evening, and perhaps a little wheeling and dealing as well (though of an unofficial and private nature). Here is another link that will take you to the complete program.

Complete Program 2006 Ward Francillon Time Symposium

Clint Geller

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

At "City Bank Antiques" in Kent, Ohio...

Well, as I post this message the 2006 Ward Francillon Time Symposium is drawing to a close. Due to health issues I had to limit my participation to the Ball Watch Company displays at the newly remodeled "City Bank Antiques" store in downtown Kent, Ohio. On Wednesday morning Tom McIntyre and I met there and worked into the evening choosing and writing descriptions for representative timepieces and ephemera to cover Ball Watch Company history from the early 1890s up through the 1950s and beyond.

The watches displayed were primarily from the Don Barrett, Larry Buchan and Joel Sarich collections as well as from mine. We arranged an interesting timeline inside two huge old-time jewelers showcases. Other items, including Ball Railroad Clocks were displayed throughout the store. Across the aisle a display of Ball items from the collection overseen by Jeffrey Hess was placed in another showcase. Next to that, many of Barrett's Ball Watch Company and Railroad Brotherhood items were under glass to enjoy.

On Friday afternoon the Symposium attendees traveled by bus from Cleveland and joined us in Kent to share and discuss our unprecedented display of everything related to Ball Watch Company and its history. The IHC185 presented everyone who attended the Symposium with a copy of Michael C. Harrold's landmark book "American Watchmaking" as part of our sponsorship for the event. It was a real pleasure to finally meet Mike in person and he graciously autographed books for many of the attendees.

As you can see in the image below I spent the entire afternoon explaining the watches, answering many questions, sharing the Ball Watch Company history and making a number of new friends. It was a wonderful occasion, I'm sure others will be commenting and sharing some of their pictures.

We had a great time looking at and talking about Ball Watches...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Hello fellow IHC 185 members:

Lenore and I attended the Ward Francillon Time Symposium. We learned a lot about early watchmaking in the U. S. and viewed two informative displays dealing with the watches discussed. Here are some pictures of the "Ball Display" held at Don and Karen's antique store, City Bank Antiques in Kent, Ohio. Picture 1 shows a view of Cleveland from our room at the Crown Plaza.

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
posted
Picture 2.

That's me "yours truly" at City Bank Antiques.

posted
Pic. 3.

President Lindell behind the two Ball display counters.

posted
Pic. 3.

Center: Dr. Clint Geller, Chairman of the symposium.

posted
Pic. 4.

Don Barrett, host of the Ball display with Nancy Dyer, the NAWCC Librarian.

posted
Pic. 6. Part of the Ball display.

posted
Pic. 7. More Ball display.

posted
Pic. 8. More of the Ball display.

posted
Pic. 9. More Ball cisplay.

posted
Pic. 10. More Ball display.

posted
Pic. 11. More Ball display.

posted
Pic. 12. Final Ball display picture. I hope you enjoy these!

Lenore and I enjoyed the show. I wish to thank my wife, Lenore for taking the pictures.

Joel Sarich

posted
Great seminar and great people.

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
I was there and greatly enjoyed it as well.

Thanks for the photos Joel. I hate to admit it but my camera battery was dead and I didn't have the spare I thought was in my bag. I spent Friday's lunch break trying to find a replacement. No joy.

The Ball display at City Bank Antiques was spectacular. Lindell was on one side of the room with a very impressive display of Ball marked watches arranged in chronological order. Jeff Hess was on the other side of the room showing off Webb C Ball's personal collection and a bit of the ephemera from the Ball estate. Being able to hold some of these gems and view them up close was a real treat. Don Barret's hospitality was first rate and his horological "candy store" amazing in its own right. He had quite a few of his Ball clocks on display.

Ron Birchall

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Hi Joel
Thank You for these pictures for us unable to attend.
Living in Ohio and I was unable to be there Frown Frown I had to work Mad Mad. I have been to Don's shop a couple of times. He invited me for a private tour of his home and my jaw dropped as I saw his Seth Thomas #20 Ball clock. I was looking thru your pictures hoping to see it again. I am sure those in attandance were told this is the only clock he knows of with a movement marked Ball Watch Co.

Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
posted
If I had to choose a bank to rob last weekend that would've been it! If there was any pamphlet
or souvenier available to record this event I would appreciate the opportunity to get a copy!

Thank you for the pics. I wish I could have been there.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004