Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball by Seth Thomas? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I've heard of 18s Seth Thomas Ball watches called"Railway Queen".Has anyone actually seen one of these?They must be one of the rarest of Ball watches.I searched this topic, and nobody has asked about them before.Thank you,...Ted Brown.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ted

I have never heard of an 18 size, there was the 0 size Ball by Waltham Queen. Not that I am any where close to knowing much about Ball watches.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Ted,

I seem to vaguely recall reading something about Seth Thomas making a "Queen" but it is not related to the "Ball Queens" which are very interesting, the Ball Queens and Railroad Queens were 0-size produced by Waltham under contract. For some reason they made them in both 16 and 17-Jewel, in fact there were mixed runs with both configurations. Some of both examples are marked "Adjusted" and a few 17-Jewel versions even display sun-ray damaskeening. There were also a few Open-Faced Queens, and even some Brotherhood examples.

The 0-size Ball Queens were produced by Waltham as early as 1896 and by 1904 they were discontinued.

Here is a topic where we got into Ball Queens in depth...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6047761/m/3461052351

Like everything that Webb C. Ball touched these little "Rail-Road Queens" are a fascinating part of the story.

Lindell

From 1903 Number B642434 Open-Faced 17J. Adjusted, RR Queen...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Bulletin 234 p17 discusses Dueber winning the right to the Railway designation and it being a problem for the Railway Queen designation used on Ball Seth Thomas watches. Price guide shows a ST Ball watch 18sz as a 4 star watch. I have never seen one, vaguely recollect some green board discussion about a "prototype", EA 131 p 36 of the large size American Pocket Watches Serial number and Grade Book Edited by Ehrhardt about 1993 has a drawing of a movement and under the Ball Seth Thomas section p46 it has the comment "one seen". There is a picture of the movement on p 94 of Ehrhardt's 1979 American Pocket Watch Price Indicator with the comment "rare".

Either they didn't make many or perhaps they were pulled after the trademark dispute.

no question about its rareness tho! As far as the rarest goes the Aurora Ball might be right there with it.

Only one Hamilton Ball 939 and one hamilton Ball 937 has surfaced so far also!

While not in the same class as the above, Railroad Watch Co 16 and 17 J are pretty scarce.

Hamilton Ball 938 only have 7 known and There are only 33 known Hampden Ball's that have surfaced.

Hamilton Ball 936 has only 10 known to surface and there are only 20 known Howard Ball's surviving.

Always learning! Fun hobby.

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Now I know I learned something today, thanks Ted & Bill, I never knew such a watch existed, now to find 6 or 7 of them!

Correct me if I am wrong Bill, I think this is Hampden's ad telling how they won the suit. This is from 1901 The Railroad Trainman.

Hopefully it is readable after dropping the quality.

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Tom for showing that Dueber-Hampden advertisement. Bill is correct the term "Railway" was Trade Marked by Dueber which evolved out of Hampden which he owned by then and the fact Hampden had used "Railway" on watches prior to other companies. The combined Dueber Watch Case and Hampden Watch Companies both used "Railway" on their products. Around this same time Waltham used "Railway" and Columbus marketed derivatives on the "Railway" and "Railway King" theme, using those as well as "R.W.K. Special" on movements and dials. Listed in the "Complete Guide to Watches" pages 169-171 of the 2010 Edition.

I think it is important to emphasize that although the folks at Seth Thomas apparently made some 18-size "Railway Queens" they were not related to the 0-size "Ball Queens" or the various 0-size "Ball RR Queens" and various 0-size Brotherhood Queens shown in my post and the links I provided. And they should not be confused with the Ball-Seth Thomas which is shown as a Four Star watch on page 156 of the 2010 watch guide.

The term "RR Queen" became a registered Trade Mark of Ball and Company as shown "Trade Mark RR Queen" on the dial in the image I shared in this topic as well as in the images shown in the link I supplied in my post above. They are listed on page 157 of the 2010 watch guide. Remember the "RR" usually meant "Rail-Road" on Ball watches as suggested clearly by the "RR" on these and "Ball Official RR Standard" watches as well. Hampden proved they owned "Railway" and you can see why there was always contention between John C. Dueber and Webb C. Ball, in fact I am surprised they did not argue the "C" both used as their middle names!

Hope I did not add confusion Smile but instead a bit of clarification.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell & Bill

Just so I understand correctly, one page 74 of the gold book "American Pocket Watches Beginning to End" by Meggers & Ehrhardt, drawing EA 131. It shows a drawing of a Ball by Seth Thomas 18s marked Railway Queen Cleveland Ohio. So that is incorrect, no such watch exists?

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Tom, Bill and Ted,

This is where it really gets confusing.. Eek ... for me!!!

Apparently the plan to market a "Railway Queen" you pointed to was what caused the contention between Dueber and Ball in the first place. My previous comments did cause confusion in this topic as I had completely forgotten having seen the ""EA-131" drawing, and like Bill having never seen the real watch. All my thought processes were completely focused on the Railroad Queens and failed to connect with apparent use of Railway Queen on that Ball-Seth Thomas drawing.

The terms are similar but the two watches under discussion are very, very different.

My apologies to everyone and thanks for the clarification my friend!!!

Lindell

Wink

Here is the "EA 131" drawing Tom referred to...

posted
Tom,

BLF Journal Jan 01 has a variation on the info/ad you posted. Apparantly Ball ran these in all the journals for a few months each.

Lindell,

I have never seen a pic of the dial on that ea 131 Seth thomas, have you?

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
posted

I'm with you on that Bill, never saw a real movement or for that matter a dial either, only that drawing and an odd-looking picture with no movement number on center left of page 94 of the 1979 Ehrhardt book. Whenever I am asked if there really were any Ball-Seth Thomas watches produced and I must admit to uncertainty, never having seen one nor have I seen any real proof they were actually produced.

Of course I've never seen the Loch Ness Monster Roll Eyes either!

Ball-Howard is as rare Smile as I can deal with.

Lindell

Wink

posted
Lindell,

That picture in the 79 price indicator is pretty convincing proof that the movement exists. Under the picture there is a notation of G.E.T. which means to me that either Col Townsend owned the watch or took the picture.

As to the Ball Howards, I have nothing but envy of your collection! They were beyond my price range even years ago! I have a very small collection of less than 20 watches but concentrated on what I thought were the overlooked humble "rare" affordable (at the time) watches.

20 years ago, I probably had a few hundred watches but once I got the 938 Ball and started learning about the pre 1900 18sz Ball Hampdens and Hamilton's I was able to build a focused collection at a reasonable price.

Another way of looking at my collection is that I have a few tons of clocks and only a few pounds of watches Big Grin

happy hunting,

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I don't have the 1979 guide you mention so I can't check out the photo.

Looking through the books I have & on page 60 of the Ehrhardt & Meggers Railroad Watch ID & Price Guide they have the following listed;

Ball by Seth Thomas Clock Co.
Railway Queen - Cleveland, Ohio - Adjusted to Temperature & Positions
ca. 1892 DS-GE-RRT-RR-Dial: Webb C. Ball Cleveland in Old English
18S-17J-ON3L-AP-RRG "Spl" EA 131 & 810 one seen

Railway Queen - Adjusted To Temperature & Positions
DS-GE-ART-RR-Dial: Railway Queen
18S-17J-ON3L-AP-RRG "Spl" EA 131 & 810

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Also wanted to say Ted, I didn't mean to hijack your question!

Tom

posted
Tom and Ted,

Given the approx production date in the gold book of 1892 and the Dueber lawsuit concluding in 1901,
the theory that these were discontinued due to the suit doesn't hold water unless the production date estimate is wrong.

I am inclined to think the production date estimate is wrong and that this is a later watch possibly using older ST inventory as Ball apparantly did with Hampden. We can date the Hampdens due to existing ads that were run, but not so with the Seth Thomas.

happy hunting.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Wow, I stirred up a hornet's nest! And Tom, you didn't steal my question, I enjoy it when you guys join in. We're all learning. I saw the movement listed in the '79 indicator, maybe it's not a hoax since it came from Mr. Ehrhardt. In his Beginning to End book, they also list a full-plate 5th model Seth Thomas Ball, they gave an est. value at that time of 6500-9000 dollars! And Lindell, that Queen you show, man what a nice watch! That's one to be proud of. I'm in awe.... Hey, I'd be happy with a Waltham Ball! I'm still kicking myself for never getting a Ball watch, I remember when they were cheap to buy, now I couldn't touch one with a 10' pole....Thanks for another great education....Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008