Tools
Reply to Post

VISIT TO CLEVELAND LANDMARKS IN AUGUST 1991 "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted

The first time I visited Cleveland was for my first National, that was held in August 1986. At that time I had the privilege of meeting a fellow member and Superintendent of Buildings for the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, His name is Audrey Balogh at that time the Locomotive Engineers Building was still standing, and he offered to take Joel Sarich and me on a tour of Engineers Building. It was on a Saturday, so nobody was working there. It was an interesting tour, seeing the auditorium, where all the Brotherhoods conventions had been held since 1915. One other interesting artifact was a scaled-down Northern steam engine in an eight foot glass case.

The next time I visited Cleveland was in 1991, and I was there representing my Division #355, of Calgary, Alberta. As their Delagate to the 5th Quinquennial Convention that was held there in August. At that convention I met Audrey Balogh, and Richard Cook a renowned railroad photographer, who was working as a Public Relations Officer for the Brotherhood. Audrey (Aud) knowing my interest in collecting Ball watches took me one afternoon to a building were there was a Ball Street Clock, where he took this picture of me comparing time with my Trade Mark Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers 18 size 21 Jewel pocket watch. That was quite an experience.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted

Here is another view of me and the Ball Street Clock I am wearing my badge of office as Secretary Treasurer of my Division. This was made by the Ball Watch Company and our Division had bought them some time soon after we received our Charter on January 26, 1903. I am also wearing my Delegates badge on my left side. Cleveland had changed a lot since my visit in 1986. Unfortunately, the Locomotive Engineers Building had been torn down, the Hyatt Hotel chain wanted the site to build a new hotel, so rather than fight this in court with the City Hall supporting the hotel chain, and eminent domain facing us. The leadership chose to take the money that was offered, and headquarters were moved into the Standard Building across the street. With the engineers building gone, we had no auditorium to meet in. So the convention was held in the music hall of the Convention Center.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted

Here is a picture of Aud and me in front of Security Federal the bank that occupied the building where the clock was located. Aud loved the Locomotive Engineers and the buildings he was in charge of it had worked at different jobs as a carpenter, and the locomotive firemen in the 1950s till steam came to an end. His father was the previous Building Superintendent and Aud took over his job when his father retired. It was pretty hard on him when they tore down the Engineers Building. I believe it was in 1993 that the Brotherhood made him an Honorary Member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. This honor was offered to very few men, like Webb C. Ball who was made an Honorary Member of the B.of L.E. on May the 31st 1921. Not the 1907 date that some people are erroneously putting down as the date on their websites.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted

How did we get a picture with Aud in it, he was not a shy man and he walked right into the Security Federal Bank and asked one of the managers to come out and take the picture of both of us. You can see by the time frame on the clock this took about 10 minutes, he then asked the manager if we could get a shot of me by their vault. I have a copy of the banks prospectus in my hands in it lists a Fred Ball as one of the directors of the bank. I wonder how many banks would let strangers do this today.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted

Here is a picture of me that Aud took the first day of the convention. It was taken in the lobby of the Standard Building that the engineers had built in 1924 when they were in the banking business. I'm dressed in my full regalia. Brotherhood years of service pin, Balls Secretary-Treasurer badge, Delegates badge, watch chain with B.of L.E. charm attached, and the chain attached to my B.of L.E. Standard watch.

The plaque behind me, commemorates the opening of "The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers Cooperative National Bank Building." It has a list of the Advisory Board that comprised of the leaders of the Brotherhood. The mailbox beside me has the BLE logo on it, all the doorknobs and locks in the building, like the engineers building were bronze with the BLE logo on them. Webb C. Ball, had his offices on the 13th floor of this building, which came to be known as the Standard Building.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted

Here Is a picture of a "Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers Cooperative National Bank" five dollar bill signed by Warren S. Stone, the Bank's President and Grand Chief of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. These bills are very collectible, as it is the longest title of national banks.

Grand Chief Warren Stone came up with the idea of the engineers getting into the banking business around 1915 in the Union at that time were very successful and being the oldest organized union in the railways and with a large membership paying dues. There was lots of money in their general account and Brother Stone thought that banking would be an easy way to make more money. They were very successful at first, with branches in Philadelphia, Boston, Seattle and Cleveland so successful they proposed building the Standard Building for their bank. Brother Stone made the remark that banking was as easy as running a peanut stand.

They were drunk with success and decided to go into the real estate business in Florida, they purchased land and built the city of Venice with thousands of acres of farmland around the city. Unfortunately, the time they picked to get into real estate was the time the economic boom in Florida was on its downturn. This just about drove the Brotherhood into bankruptcy, Warren Stone died in 1925, and a new president was elected at the 1928 convention Alvanly Johnson.

Drastic measures had to be made to save the Brotherhood, they got out of the banking business, real estate, and many other businesses, including a coal mine. They had invested in. And all engineers were asked to pay five dollars per month for Loyalty Bonds to save the organization. Many members bought these bonds, which were never redeemed and due to their dedication to the Brotherhood the organization was saved. Venice still stands, with some of the old buildings that the Brotherhood built.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...great pictorial history Larry...thanks, I enjoyed it...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Member 638
posted
Larry,
Thank you for the great bit of history of the B.of L.E. on your visits to Cleveland in 1986 & 1991. This type of information and pictures add immensely to our data base.

Here is a recent article from The Plain Dealer about the Webb C Ball clock that you have photographed. I know many have seen the article but it's worth posting. Webb C Ball Clock

Mike

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005