• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dating 999B's "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Today I judged the antique watch classes at the State Fair. Anything may show up, and this year quite a few nice pieces were entered. One was a gorgeous 999B, which presented a problem. The definition of "antique" at the Fair is over 50 years old, and I don't know the serial number/date relationship for them. Will someone please direct me to the 999B date table? The Find function seems to be inoperative today. Thanks.

Joe Jones

Posts: 47 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA | Registered: April 24, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Joseph,

Sounds like you're having a great time at the fair!

By the way, our Technical Staff is at work on the "Find-Or-Search" feature.

As to your question, since production for the 999B ended in 1955 every 999B would qualify (as many of us would!) for the "over 50 years old" criteria. To nail down the date consult our Numbered Page 21 of the John F. Gelson Hamilton Serial Number Listings as an easy to use and printable reference.

There were 700 "2B" Prefix 999B movements in 1943 in addition to the "1B" prefixes which began that year. The last few 999B examples had straight-line damaskeening with serial numbers above the 1B27000 area and as mentioned above we consider 1955 to be the final year of production.

The Ball-Hamilton 999B was and is one of the best.

Lindell

Below to the left 1B419 and that's 1B27472 on the right...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank you for the help. I did have a great morning with the watches; no doubt some of the exhibitors will be dissatisfied with my ranking of their treasures, but when they enter a 7-jewel Elgin in a wornout case, they must be satisfied with just the chance to show it to the public!

Joe Jones

Posts: 47 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA | Registered: April 24, 2006