Internet Horology Club 185
Ball Advertising

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2121060351/m/291103801

March 03, 2010, 15:34
Bill Kapp
Ball Advertising
Keith,

Now you will have to invest in an inkpad so you can stamp everything you mail!

Love it!

happy hunting,
March 04, 2010, 20:40
Bill Kapp
Here is a very early Ball Retail Ad from December 1884 in which he is featuring Elgin Watches.

Magazine of Western History

March 04, 2010, 22:37
Bill Kapp
One of the earliest ads in 1881 appeared in minutes of the Ohio Conference. The ad featuring Elgin above also appeared in that conference!

happy hunting

March 04, 2010, 22:40
Tom Brown
Oh N0 Mr. Bill

I have lost one of my activities, good job.

Tom
March 04, 2010, 22:53
Bill Kapp
And in 1895 Advertising in the Northern Steamship Mag, we get a two-fer.

Apparantly Ball still had some of those spoons to sell!

Tom, I can do them as long as they are only one page size, I still haven't figured out how to combine two pics into one.

happy hunting

March 04, 2010, 23:00
Tom Brown
And thanks to Bill I will have my own Garfield spoon soon.

Tom
October 29, 2010, 15:35
Bill Kapp
Tom,

here is the patent for our spoons.

patent

happy hunting
October 29, 2010, 18:23
Tom Brown
Thanks Bill!

I also picked up another spoon stamped Webb C. Ball Co.., it is a lot larger than the Garfield spoon. It was given as an award to some organization called the C.A.C. in 1944.

Tom
July 28, 2014, 15:59
Bill Kapp
Ball advertised extensively in the different Union magazines but we know that he had some problems with union members.

union members complaints

. Keeping in mind that Union marked watches sold for the same price as the non union ORRS watches, wouldn't you think the employees would always choose a Union marked watch?

The rarity of these early Brotherhood watches even though Ball and the Journals cooperated in giving away watches to those who sold enough journal subscriptions confirms that there was resistance to Ball's product amongst the railroad employees.

I think that the subscription offers were Ball's method or marketing to the general public! Checking distribution numbers of the various journals against union membership, we see that readership was over two and three times union membership!

The public must have figured that "official" RR standard as seen in the journals as a great endorsement.

We don't really see Ball advertising much anywhere else, yet the sales of the ORRS logically must have been for the most part to the general public!

happy hunting

Journal promo