Internet Horology Club 185
Ball Pocket Watch Motor Barrel

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2121060351/m/1973923187

January 21, 2014, 09:39
George A. Mandalou
Ball Pocket Watch Motor Barrel
I am trying to take apart a Ball pocket watch motor barrel and am having no success. How do they come apart?

George Mandalou
January 23, 2014, 02:36
Robert McClelland
George, some details on the watch would help someone come up with the answer for you.
Bob
January 23, 2014, 15:40
George A. Mandalou
The movement is a zise 16, 19 jewel, with "Official Standard" and the small gold seal on the winding bridge. The barrel looks like a typical motor barrel. The "Main Wheel" is geared and seperate from the lower portion or shell which holds the main spring. The Main Wheel has the arbor hook which attaches to the Main Spring. Right now the main wheel is freely rotating on the arbor and you can feel when it passes the main spring; it will partially grab the spring then let go as it rotates freely around the arbor. The arbor will NOT pull out. Is there another step on a Ball to release the arbor or is it just stuck? Any help is greatly appreciated.

George Mandalou
January 23, 2014, 16:24
George A. Mandalou
I have already tried soaking it in cleaning fluid, flooding it with oil and even tried boiling it to free the arbor. No luck.

George Mandalou
January 23, 2014, 17:34
George A. Mandalou
I GOT IT OUT! The arbor is in two parts, screwed together. I screwed the winding wheel on to the top of the arbor and used it as a key to unscrew the two pieces of the arbor.

George Mandalou