Internet Horology Club 185
HAMILTON 992B STOLEN! ***(Check Arrived)***

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/135105991/m/1171064513

July 26, 2008, 06:10
Phillip Sanchez
HAMILTON 992B STOLEN! ***(Check Arrived)***
I had not heard anything from the PO, so yesterday I stopped by, the conversation with the supervisor went like this.

Super: What can I help you with?

Me: I am here about the claim I filed with you ten days ago where the postal employee stole a watch out of a package.

Super: Ten days, that is not unusual it can take weeks.

Me: Well, I didn't want the thing just sitting there with no one doing anything.

Super: You have filed an official claim, stamped in with a PO seal, I assure you something will happen, "they" will contact you. Here is a telephone number and the name of the person who is handling the claim.

She then hands me a piece of paper with a local telephone number with Victor written on it. Roll Eyes

So that is where we are to date. I will give Victor another week, if I don't hear back then I will call him.
July 26, 2008, 09:30
Sheila Gilbert
Phillip,
Call him now, it's already been 10 days, and let him know you are going to drive him crazy.

I guess you could leave that last part out, but I would call him now.

and.....

I would call him every other day until he could tell me something. Even if it's just how he processes the investigation.

Sheila
July 26, 2008, 09:36
Phillip Sanchez
Sheila, there will come a time soon where I will get Sonia involved, then they will be sorry. Wink
July 26, 2008, 09:46
Brian C.
Phillip,
It just might take a long long time for them to get to your claim. Not because they're busy but because they think it might be one of their own involved. If they had suspected you or me, the claim would have been done and over by now. I'm with Sheila, I would start calling right away. Let them know who you are on the phone, just by the sound your voice.
Brian C.
July 26, 2008, 23:59
Sheila Gilbert
Phillip,
I get it! Watch out!
That's me too! Eek Big Grin

However, like Brian said, I think after that many days, they would have to learn my VOICE by then.

Sheila
August 03, 2008, 16:22
Phillip Sanchez
Update. I received this letter.

Please find enclosed, copy 2 of the Domestic Claim or registered mail inquiry for the insured package containing Antique pocket Watch mailed on 07/01/08 which apparently never arrived/arrived damaged/arrived without contents. if copy 2 has already been retained by you, then please keep for your records.

I have forwarded the paperwork to the Claims Servicing Section in Saint Louis, Missouri for adjudication. You should hear from them within 30 to 45 days. To check the status of your claim, call toll-free 1-866-974-2733. Please provide the representative with the mailing receipt number in reference to your claim.

Victor Porubsky Claims and Inquiries

Issued Number VE 961429464US
August 07, 2008, 01:38
Bill Carlson
Phillip,
We sent a birthday package with money in it too our Grandson in Ca. and the same thing happened.
The best part of the story was that we received our loses within a certain amount of time just like I'm sure you will also. It pays to insure and make sure you keep the paperwork until its at its destination. You have to jump thru some hoops but its worth it.
Its a sad thing to have happen to anyone.
Good luck....

Bill Carlson
August 07, 2008, 06:00
Phillip Sanchez
Bill, Thank you. If nothing else, it has taught me how to wrap a watch for shipment. Big Grin
August 09, 2008, 21:10
Sheila Gilbert
I've been checking in on this one too, and it's good to hear that someone had success.
Thanks Bill!

Does make you feel a little better about the situation.

Sheila
August 10, 2008, 12:20
Jerry King
Phillip, I'm very sorry for your loss. My Dad, as rural letter carrier in Oklahoma (God rest his soul) told me one time that when shipping anything of value, the best way is to hand deliver if possible. We all know this isn't possible at times. He also said "to remember that the longer it takes to reach it's destination, the more hands it must go through and the risk of pilfering increases with each pair of hands". I will not use USPS when shipping anything of value,at all....I use FedEx exclusively. I am a coin collector as well as watches and I take my lead from none other than our Government. When buying anything from the U.S. Mint, they always use FedEx for anything over $300.00 in value. As with others, I will add another $100.00 as a reward for the safe return of the watch to you or the person you shipped it to, but only as an enticement to a private person or to a USPS employee, other than an Inspector, who will come forward with information that leads to the arrest and return of the watch in question. The USPS Inpectors should do their job an find the guilty person without the addition of a reward. Sorry this is so long, but I've been told that I can be rather longwinded (by my loving wife). Hope this helps in some way.
August 10, 2008, 15:28
Lindell V. Riddle

Thanks a million Jerry!

With a $100.00 pledge from Jerry the IHC185 Reward stands at $485.00 for information leading to arrest and conviction of the perpetrators. Considering the watch sold for only $372.99 what we are doing should hopefully get someone's attention. Perhaps dropping off a few "Wanted Posters" at the Post Office might help!

IHC 185 REWARD OF $485.00 FOR INFORMATION LEADING TO ARREST AND CONVICTION!

One point about using Fed-Ex for shipping watches. A few years ago we at IHC were instrumental in getting a watch returned that had been stolen from Fed-Ex and eventually showed up in the eFencing operation that is all too often on eBay these days. Roll Eyes That ill-fated shipment was insured for $3,600.00 but Fed-Ex paid only $100.00 due to a clause in their fine print placing a cap of $100.00 on jewelry which is how they classify watches!

For years we have relied on USPS Priority Mail for all our shipping needs. I do agree with Jerry's late Father that the faster a package moves the less chance of loss, adding only that the less attention called to the package the better. The sad irony of Phil's situation is that is it had not been insured with the added attention-getters of "Insured Mail" and a $10.35 fee clearly shown the package might have quietly gone to its recipient in-tact.

We use "Signature Confirmation" to be sure the important packages we send are signed for by a person, not just left at the address. For example, at our home the letter-box is out at the street, I want anything of value brought to us at the front door so we extend that philosophy to any valuable item we ship and it has served us well.

The vast majority of USPS employees are honest, but taking precautions are always wise.

Lindell

Wink

IHC 185 Members Offer $485.00 Reward for $372.99 Watch...

August 11, 2008, 00:35
Jerry King
You are welcome Lindell....

Regarding FedEx shipments or more to the point of insuring a shipment through them. You are correct that they will not insure anything for more than $100.00, their standard proceedure. However they also have another insurer that a person can call and get additional insurance through in order to cover a high ticket item. It takes some additional work but in my opinion is well worth the effort. At any rate, it may be worth checking into.
I hope we can get some action on recovering this watch. It is well worth the $485.00, I think....
Good luck to Phillip.

Jerry
August 22, 2008, 05:34
Phillip Sanchez
Update: The latest from the Post Office insurance desk in St. Louis, Mo.

"THIS CLAIM IS STILL UNDER REVIEW"

What a joke. How much money does the PO make off of this phony insurance scam? Roll Eyes
August 24, 2008, 12:19
Brian C.
Phillip,
Did you ask them when this case was going to be reviewed?
I've never heard of a claim taking this long. Maybe they think you will just go away?
Brian C.
August 24, 2008, 16:48
Phillip Sanchez
Brian, They told me the review started July 12th and to call back in a couple of weeks.
August 24, 2008, 18:26
Roger J. Nolfe
Time to say: "May I have the name of your supervisor please"?
September 15, 2008, 16:24
Phillip Sanchez
Update: Called St.louis on Sept 15th gave claim # to auto voice, received message in auto voice "That claim is under review"

Our government in action. Razz
September 16, 2008, 11:27
Brian C.
Phil,
All I can say is they're lucky they're not dealing with me.
Brian C.
October 31, 2008, 16:40
Phillip Sanchez
Good News. After what seems like 100's of phone calls. I just got off of the phone with a claims representative. He assured me a check is on the way and should be here in 7 to 10 days.
I will take a picture of it when it arrives and post it here for posterity. Big Grin
October 31, 2008, 17:29
Lindell V. Riddle

Well, after four months Roll Eyes one third of a year.

I guess... "Better Late Than Never" ...is the way to look at this.

Wink

November 01, 2008, 07:25
Charles J. Brem
Hey Phil,

Hallelujah, a great example of bureaucracy at it's finest.

I can hardly wait for these people to take control of our health care system!

Anyway, I'm very happy for you, and everybody, please keep your eyes open for this watch. I have a feeling it's going to show up one day.

©harles
November 01, 2008, 07:45
Brian C.
quote:

Phil,
I hope your check doesn't get lost in the mail. Wink
Brian C.
November 02, 2008, 12:04
Sheila Gilbert
I'm so happy to hear that they are going to pay you!
I still find myself looking for the watch on the net. I've gotten so used to doing it, it's a habit.

If I ever see it, I will let you know.

Congratulations!

Sheila
November 03, 2008, 05:45
Phillip Sanchez
It would be nice to see this watch surface. What would be even nicer is the rotten scum that stole it were to go to jail. Mad

Some valuable lessons learned: (1.Never insure the package with the Post Office, it only attracts thieves.(2. Wrap the package in such a way that it will take time and work to get inside.(3.If it is less than 13 oz. (most watches are) ship 1st class. If you want to add delivery or signature confirmation that is good also.
November 03, 2008, 07:49
Brian C.
Phil,
Let me add to your list of don'ts.
Never put the name of a jewelery store on the package. This screems it may be something nice.
Brian C.
November 06, 2008, 17:10
Phillip Sanchez
The check is finally here. Now we have to find the watch.

November 07, 2008, 00:45
David Abbe
I got this in the mail today, wonder if it comes from the same bank?

Seriously Phil, I hope the watch shows too, I know we are all checking eBay, it should be sooner than later.

In the meantime I am a strong believer in Karma, I have seen too much to doubt that it works and your's just got extra Plus Karma Points that were taken back ten fold from the thief. It's a balance thing.

November 07, 2008, 11:33
Brian C.
Good going Phil. I'm glad you were made whole again.
Brian C.
November 07, 2008, 11:40
Christian E. Galdames
Glad to see that you got your money back, still there will always be an emptyness to all of this untill the watch if found. MHO Frown

IHC Member 1193
November 11, 2008, 20:00
Jerry King
Congratulations Phil, glad to hear that you were reimbursed for your loss.

Hopefully it will showup somewhere and one of our members is there when it does.

Jerry
November 17, 2008, 03:25
Desmond Lundy
About three years ago I bid and won a Adams & Perry movement from from a Nebraska vendor. I paid and waited and waited and waited. I telephoned the vendor. Still didn't arrive so I called the vendor again. He was well acquainted with the local post master and acquired an internal USPS [not for public consumption] trace and sent it to me. Seems the package had passed through Canada Customs in Vancouver and two weeks later had still not got through the local postal depot - 60 miles away. I looked up the plant supervisor and explained my problem. Very passive lack of interest. I showed him the trace and he became totally unbuttoned at my having an internal trace. How did I get it? Who gave it to me? I told him to not worry how I acquired the trace, but gave notice that within 48 hours I was filing theft charges against him in his capacity as a manager of the erring Canada Post Office depot. I explained, to his total disbelief, that pictures and serial number of the watch would be posted internationally as stolen within an hour. I suggested that he tell the ******* who stole it that he could never sell the movement in the legitimate market. I further elaborated that there was very little 'melt value' in a movement. I cautioned that I would be filing a complaint trough through the local gestapo [read RCMP]within 48 hours. Somehow, the opened registered package with the movement appeared in my post box the day. No request for import duties [and there was a customs invoice demanding money attached] or a signature. No one wanted to talk about it.
December 01, 2008, 17:35
Lindell V. Riddle

I think everyone reading this has learned some lessons.

Lessons about packing, about methods of shipping and more. It has made me far more likely to NOT insure an item unless it is shipped using Registered Mail so as to not draw any unnecessary attention to the package. My preferred shipping method remains USPS Priority Mail with Signature Required. My next loss will be my first one!

And finally, carefully check the images on Page 1 of this topic... keep an eye out for 992B number C22300 and Case 17 numbered R977482 because one day, whether together or apart we just may see them again!

What have you learned from this topic?

Wink

December 02, 2008, 07:39
Phillip Sanchez
I have certainly learned a lesson about packing for shipment. I now completely wrap my shipments with tape and never never buy insurance. As Lin has stated, it is a tip off to thieves inside the post office.
If you want to be able to sleep at night because of a high dollar item just send it registered. It is worth the few extra bucks.

This watch is very distinctive because of the extra heavy crystal.