Internet Horology Club 185
balance wheel relationship to roller table jewel orentation

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/8313976197

June 28, 2018, 17:00
Vincent Lennartz
balance wheel relationship to roller table jewel orentation
Here goes watch fans, bear with me if i do not use proper nomenclature as it relates to watches..
I am about to replace the balance staff for a RR watch with a double roller. viewing the enclosed picture of exactly as removed from the piece. Note the orientation of the roller table/jewel to the 2 spokes of the balance wheel. I was told to properly orientate the jewel perpendicular to the spokes of the balance wheel for disassembly. Right or wrong is the question?
Please advise before disassembly.....

June 28, 2018, 17:28
Bila Wirriganwalters
not the caseSmile
June 28, 2018, 18:10
Vincent Lennartz
Thanks Bila from down under in that great country of Australia.
June 28, 2018, 18:35
Kevin Hoffman
I thought the same , could you elaborate Bila ?
June 28, 2018, 20:08
Bila Wirriganwalters
Roller jewel can be placed in any position from the Factory Kevin, as long as the balance has been poised for that position it is fine.

A lot of untouched early Full Plate 18 Size American movements you find do have the roller table jewel pointing along the Balance arm, the 16 Sizes are different. On the 16 Size Watches a lot of roller table jewels are normally pointed at a Temperature compensating screw as are a lot of 18 size watches with a straight line escapement (later models).

This was mostly done for the aesthetics value of the balance look in relation to the balance cock position.
June 28, 2018, 20:25
Kevin Hoffman
Thank you Bila , I just try to put it back where it was
June 28, 2018, 20:37
Bila Wirriganwalters
quote:
I just try to put it back where it was

I think pretty much what most people do Kevin, just to hopefully keep the poise close.
June 29, 2018, 11:24
Brian C.
I scratch the underside of the balance so I'll remember where to put the roller back on.
June 29, 2018, 12:10
Douglas D. Weaver
I usually use a marking pen to mark the position of the hairspring stud on the top and the roller jewel on the bottom. When the balance is reassembled, I can remove the marks with naphtha.