Internet Horology Club 185
JW Benson "Keyless Ludgate watch" Fit for the Queen!

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/788101871

October 14, 2009, 00:06
David Abbe
JW Benson "Keyless Ludgate watch" Fit for the Queen!
These "after" pictures are of the other "project" I promised to do for my friend. It was completely gummed up, but looked very functional. It runs great now Cool

October 14, 2009, 00:07
David Abbe
Gotta figure out the case proof marks

October 14, 2009, 00:10
David Abbe
Hidden in the works was a stopworks barrel WITH ALL THE PARTS STILL THERE! The "Double Brace" mainspring was a horror show to put back in. I think some English watch makers just like a fiddly diddly watch design. But the stopworks works just fine and the watch runs great now that Capt Ahab's petrified "Whale oil" is cleaned out of it.

October 14, 2009, 00:15
Mary Ann Scott
Dave - I believe the case dates to 1900, London, and the maker is your J.W. Benson. I can't make out the initials on the stem....CH? GH?

Hope this helps.

You did an excellent job cleaning this watch. It is a beauty that I know your friend will be proud of! I'm not sure you would want to work on one like this any time soon. But at least you know what to expect should the urge strike again!
October 14, 2009, 00:26
Ray Hallenbeck
Great work Dave,
Interesting indeed to find the stop works still intact.
Ray
October 14, 2009, 00:36
David Abbe
Mary Ann, thanks for helping date the case which no doubt was finished with the watch. I enjoy "exploring" these adventuresome movement designs. Ray as always your encouragement is what keeps the "wheels turning".

This one still had a pinned dial AND Ratchet wheel! Smile

October 14, 2009, 00:51
Tom Brown
Nice watch Dave!

In Loomes;
Benson, James William. London (Ludgate Hill) 1857-1936 & perhaps later. LTD from 1892

Tom
October 14, 2009, 01:02
Tom Brown
Here is an ad from 1885 The Gardeners' chronicle

ad

October 14, 2009, 07:10
Edward Kitner
Great job as usual David.
I enjoy seeing these functional stop works turn up occasionally. I have yet to find one!
October 14, 2009, 12:07
Carlos Cons
Great job Dave! I always enjoy the visuals you post.
October 01, 2017, 07:11
Phil Smyrk
I have just isted my "keyless Ludgate" with original warranty, matchinge serial numbers and original price

[link to eBay removed]
October 01, 2017, 08:18
Dr. Debbie Irvine

Hello Phil,

Posted at the top of this forum are the words...

========================================

"Please discuss "ON-LINE TRADING" in that titled forum."

========================================

...which is a "Members Only" forum.

I see that your IHC Membership has lapsed. We invite you to renew your IHC185 Membership and post the link to your auction in the more appropriate forum.

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile