Internet Horology Club 185
Who Made "Gibraltar" Cases?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/7583982297

December 16, 2018, 20:37
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Who Made "Gibraltar" Cases?
Anyone know who made "Gibraltar" gold filled cases? I can't find anything about them but they seem pretty common.I woder if that was just another name used by one of the major casemakers?
December 16, 2018, 21:59
Buster Beck
I used to have a link to get into case trademarks, but it disappeared. If anyone has that link please post it.

I have seen the Gibraltar cases in 10-20-25 year warranty's and guarantees both ways. They are an OK case.

regards,
bb

December 17, 2018, 21:00
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Thanks again Buster!
December 18, 2018, 09:51
Nathan Moore
Theodore - You will not find the “Gibraltar” case mark in any trademark resource, and there is a good reason for it. Your case represents an interesting point in the history of watch case manufacturing.

For many decades, it was standard for manufacturers to mark gold-filled cases with a year designating a wear guarantee. This practice quickly became a trusted indicator for quality throughout the industry, encouraging customers to pay more to receive a better product.

However, unscrupulous companies began producing inferior cases containing unregistered trademarks paired with the familiar guarantees. As you might expect, the anonymity was a shrewd strategy to sell cheap cases while circumventing any future claim on the case warranty.

In 1923, a resolution was adopted by the major case manufacturers, in collaboration with the Federal Trade Commission, to abolish all time guarantees on gold-filled cases. Additionally, the term “Gold-Filled” could only be utilized if a case contained a standard thickness and quality agreed upon by the industry.

During the conference with the Federal Trade Commission, a variety of anonymous gold-filled cases with unregistered trademarks were exhibited as evidence of the inferior quality despite the stamped time guarantees. Amongst the cases exhibited was one marked “Gibraltar.”
December 18, 2018, 20:02
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Thank you for that Nate.I have seen a lot of these cases, I have only one, an 18s.Mine shows some brass, I imagine it likely didn't have much gold on it to begin with.I appreciate the info! Have a Merry Christmas!