Internet Horology Club 185
Polishes?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/6386092743

June 15, 2003, 14:36
David Johnson
Polishes?
How about some input on the types of metal polishes you prefer. I have three different types that I use each with varied results but have found nothing that stands out above the rest.

For those of you that polish your cases, what is your polish of choice?
June 15, 2003, 14:43
Aaron Bereiter
I use Simichrome Polish. It containes no abrasives so it will not cause too much wear on the gold and leaves a protective finish behind. I have found this to be the best so far.
June 15, 2003, 15:45
Phil Dellinger
I use this metal polish. Can be found at Wall-Mart . Especially great for gold (they also make a product for silver only, although I haven't tried that one). I then follow it up with a jewelers polishing cloth. I like it because it is non-abraisive and easy to use. Just follow the directions.
Good luck.
Wink

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12)

June 15, 2003, 17:06
Bruce Byrd
I use the Simichrome polish also. I usually follow up with my jewelers cloth which brings everything up to a brilliant shine.
June 15, 2003, 21:21
John D. Duvall
I like "Flitz" Metal Polish and Fiberglass Cleaner in the squeeze tube.

You have to search around for it and it ain't cheap but it does a very nice job.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator
June 15, 2003, 21:35
David Johnson
I too use Simichrome with pretty good results. I also use a product called Maas polish but it can be a little stubborn to remove as you don't let it haze up. You remove it wet then buff. This is a little problematic with deeply engraved cases.

I'll have to give the Flitz polish a try.

Any others?
June 15, 2003, 22:13
Aaron Bereiter
David,

I find the Flitz to be really good also. I tried some at Johns and it works very well. I use the Simichrome because it is available at the local Ma & Pa hardware store. I try not to patronize the "Big Guys" whenever possible.