Internet Horology Club 185
Toronto Watch Company

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/5703972987

February 17, 2017, 17:59
Gary E. Cochran
Toronto Watch Company
Anyone know anything about this watch...Checked the Hampden pocket watch data base and no help..When thru the Hampden Book and again nothing.. Just wanted to know how many watches Hampden made labeled the Toronto Watch Company...

February 17, 2017, 18:00
Gary E. Cochran
Picture of dial...

February 18, 2017, 01:19
Bila Wirriganwalters
A Hampden private label Gary for S.P Skleiser, the picture below might shed more light for you.

February 18, 2017, 01:27
Bill Manders
Gary,
In the Gold Book it lists a Toronto Watch Co. Ca: 1882. It shows only a 18s 11 jewel.
Don't know if it is the same as yours, but the date on the receipt that Bila shows is also 1882.
Is your movement a Hunter or Open faced mvmt ?
For what its worth.
Bill
February 18, 2017, 01:28
Bila Wirriganwalters
As for the amount made I have not a clue Gary, this is a Springfield Grade. Low quality and heaps made, but I have only seen a few American Made watches with this moniker on, but I have seen a few more Swiss manufactured watches with the name.
February 18, 2017, 10:49
Buster Beck
It is a Model 1, which is KWKS Bill. Therefore it could be used as either.

A PL for S.P. Kleiser Bila.

regards,
bb
February 18, 2017, 10:55
Gary E. Cochran
Bill I see Buster answered your question...I will probably end up putting it in a hunter case...

Bila,
I have read everything I could find about the Toronto W C on this group and the internet but there really isn't much...I was a little interested in the 17 marking on the m/s barrel bridge...I am guessing that it was just a barrel bridge that they used from left over parts from New York Watch company..I have had the watch apart and all numbers match on the plates...I guess I will just have to keep looking and see if I can find anything else out about this watch...Thanks all for your input..
February 18, 2017, 18:43
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Gary, I may be wrong but I'm not sure Hampden was making anything with 17 jewels back when that movement was made.It does look like a factory mark though.As you said that plate could have come from another watch, but I've never heard of a 17J key wind Hampden.That's got to be a pretty scarce one!
February 18, 2017, 20:14
Kevin Hoffman
I have a Toronto in a silver hunter , Hampden 405655 , keywind , no jewel count . When I purchased this one they also had one I could not identify the maker , I posted it here and we decided it was swiss , and I lost the Hampden picture while resizing

February 18, 2017, 20:34
Kevin Hoffman
Hampden dial

February 18, 2017, 20:35
Kevin Hoffman
this is the swiss dial , the auctions were posted a few hours apart and the swiss toronto went for considerably more

February 18, 2017, 21:10
Kevin Hoffman
I was looking at Bila's receipt , it was for a longines and warranted 5 years if I read it right , that is a considerable warranty for 1890
June 16, 2017, 16:34
Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
Gary's watch looks like a Hampden for sure but I do not believe it is 17 jewels. I do not know what the 17 is stamped on there fore but I do not see any jewels which leads me to believe it is a 7 jewel movement.

As for Kevin's watch it is not a Hampden. I do not know what it is but it is not a Hampden. It looks nothing like Gary's watch to me.
June 29, 2017, 18:13
Kevin Hoffman
Hi Harry , My last post may not have made sense , I was stating that there where 2 torontos for sale , one was swiss , I bought the hampden . The pictures got out of order when posting , I still am unable to post the hampden , there is something whacky with picassa