Internet Horology Club 185
Any knowledge on this style of case?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/4823962967

January 06, 2012, 19:48
Jon Hart
Any knowledge on this style of case?
It doesn't look right on this Hamilton.

I think it is a RR style case, but no clue to what movement should be married up with it.

Thanks

January 06, 2012, 19:49
Claude Griffith
NAWCO bulldog type case which if my memory serves me correct were made in Mansfield Ohio.
January 06, 2012, 19:56
Jon Hart
Hi Claude,

Do you think it is a right for 992 series Hamilton?
January 06, 2012, 21:09
Claude Griffith
If the 992 was before Hamilton started factory casing 992's then it would be as possible as any other case for a 992. Many times you will see this type of case used for the Burlington 21j. The company name was North American Watch Co., if your 992 is in the time frame before factory casing I would not have any issues saying it is correct.
January 06, 2012, 22:25
Larry Lamphier
Your Case

Here is a little info Jon.

Read what Lindell has to say about it.

Regards,
Larry
January 06, 2012, 23:20
Richard Romero
John,
The Hamilton Blind Man dial looks correct and great in the NAWCO HEAVY DUTY Case.

January 06, 2012, 23:28
Richard Romero
Here's the Illinois Burltington Bull Dog illustrating the Heavy Crystal. The Bull Dog cases are marked "Bull Dog" meaning only an Illinois Burlington movement is correct.
RR

January 06, 2012, 23:32
Jon Hart
Larry - Thanks for the link... Occasionally this style of case would pop up on ebay, and it looked really neat and the double back lid system is quite unique.

Richard - thanks for the photo. I bet the green 14k GF case was a looker

Claude - you were dead right (good memory)
January 06, 2012, 23:38
Richard Romero
John,
Here's my Green 14k GF Bull Dog. Complete with HEAVY DUTY CHRYSTAL by William White. The case is the optional 185 shown above.
RR

January 06, 2012, 23:42
Jon Hart
Richard,

That is awesome! The dial and the case go hand-in-hand
January 07, 2012, 19:30
Claude Griffith
These are nice cases and a bit unusual because of the screw on dust cover rather than a hinged inner cover. Burlington cases were always signed but I could not remember if the Burlington Bulldog case was marked Burlington or Bulldog or combined. If it is not marked Burlington I would not have any issues with using it with any early 992 or any pre-factory cased Waltham, Elgin, or Illinois movement. Mansfield is about 70 miles directly west of the Deuber Hampden plant in Canton.
January 07, 2012, 20:37
Richard Romero
Claude,
The inner cover snaps in and is marked "BULL DOG", NAWCO, and The Burlington Watch Co. The screw on outer cover is not marked "BULL DOG".
RR
Inner Dust Cover on the Left: Outer Cover on the Right

January 08, 2012, 11:32
Claude Griffith
Thanks Richard, I have one but unfortunately somewhere through time the inner cover was discarded or lost but I thought it screwed on also since the back screws on.

I have never inspected the pendant but one would wonder if there is some type of packing or such around the stem since the pendant itself is massive.

On some of the watches that I have picked up and you can see how coal dust did work its way inside watch cases and NAWCO appeared to go into the overkill mode to prevent dust from getting to the movement.
January 08, 2012, 21:43
Brad Richardson
Claude,I've read somewhere that the pendant was packed with some sort of moisture absorbing material. Regards, Brad