Internet Horology Club 185
What type of case is best for my new Waltham movement?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/4663956467

August 05, 2011, 18:14
Jim Bielefeldt
What type of case is best for my new Waltham movement?
Hi Hi Everyone
I recently added a Waltham 16s 21j Crescent St movement to my collection. It is open face, serial 23014684, and lever set (picture below).
I bought it as a movement, so now I need a case for it. Since it is a nice movement I plan on keeping I want it to go in an appropriate case. What would you suggest?

August 05, 2011, 23:37
Buster Beck
Nice looking watch, I would suggest a short to medium pendant urn case for your 1920 Waltham in any material and style whether plain or engraved design and a matching set of correct hands.

regards,
bb
August 06, 2011, 07:45
Jim Bielefeldt
Thanks Buster,
I hadnt even thought of the hands, not that I am good at knowing what is right yet. But looking at them now they look mismatched. Is there anywhere I can find an example of what a correct set would look like?
August 06, 2011, 10:19
Eric Unselt
Jim, this matching set of hands is on my 21j 16s Cresecent St. Of course, your dial is porcelain and mine is melamine, but just to give you an idea.

August 06, 2011, 10:25
Eric Unselt
Brian Cavanaugh might have a set of hands for you, and a factory display case would show off that movement nicely.

August 06, 2011, 10:44
Jim Bielefeldt
Thanks Eric
From what I am seeing the hour hand might be correct? I think I might have the minute hand but I am going to have to look for it.
August 06, 2011, 12:45
Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
I agree with Buster, a short-to-medium pendant railroad style case would be the most appropriate for your movement.

Try to get one that already has the correct lever cut location, so you don't have to go butchering it up. That kills the value of the case for me and most other collectors as well.

Another place you might look for correct hands is the fat book page 136.

Best Regards,

Ed