Internet Horology Club 185
Waltham "Pioneer" watch case

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/3683953097

August 17, 2017, 12:24
Joe Connors
Waltham "Pioneer" watch case
I know this case has been mentioned before on this site, and I believe one of the "Pioneer" cases was sold here. I have recently acquired a Waltham C.P.R. 17J pendant set in one of these cases. The movement is pegged at about 1900. For those unfamiliar, it is a nickeloid case. I have a fair collection of RR Grade PWs but have never personally come across this case before. Most of my collection is 24 hour dials and geared toward watches that were used or could have been used in Canadian RR employment.
I would appreciate any offerings of information.
Thanks for your time and attention.......Joe.....
August 17, 2017, 12:45
Dr. Debbie Irvine

Hello Joe,

Click here: Waltham "Pioneer" watch cases

Debbie

August 17, 2017, 15:20
Joe Connors
Thanks for the very quick reply. Interesting that the "Pioneer" part of the case, is referred to as an insert. My case is marked:
Waltham Pat 22 Apr 79 COIN 63169.
I have obviously wrongly assumed that the insert and the case all came together from the manufacturer. If I am to understand correctly, the insert was a separate piece supplied to various case companies (?).
If so, would this have been added to the case at the jewelers when installing the movement ?
Does it really have a significant purpose ?
Thanks again........Joe.......
August 17, 2017, 17:53
Kevin Hoffman
Hi Joe , That Pioneer case is silver , that doubles its value to me
August 17, 2017, 23:09
Joe Connors
Thanks Kevin.
I don't have any other "coin" cases, and even though I continually study information related to the hobby, it slipped my mind that this a mostly silver case as opposed to the "nickel" cases. One of those things you don't fully consider until you have it in hand I suppose.
I'm still not sure about the "Pioneer" insert if that is what it is.
Much appreciated..........Joe...........
August 18, 2017, 14:01
Kevin Hoffman
Hi Joe , I am still new to this , The case is called pioneer ,but after looking through the history I think your talking about an insert added to sheild it from "MAGNETISM "!!!!! , the scourge of the 1900"'s , when stray electrical currents could hijack your watch {and possibly your body} ,That sheild or insert is in all Pioneer case's {i think} . If your really worried about MAGNETISM !!! , you can start collecting Pailliard's Non-Magnetic pocket watch's , I stick with the ones made by Peoria and Illinois , since collecting these i have had no magnetism problems , come to think of it I never did

August 22, 2017, 22:53
Joe Connors
Thanks Kevin.
I believe I had read where that was a consideration for the insert and it makes sense to me................Joe..............
August 23, 2017, 19:30
Lorne Wasylishen
Something I have read is that those inserts in silver cases were used as stiffeners.

It was cheaper than using more silver.

Any chance of a photo?