Internet Horology Club 185
My Newest Watch

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/2323955767

November 06, 2011, 09:48
Jared Brinker
My Newest Watch
Here's one I just picked up off the bay. It is made by the "Homestead Watch Co." in Ulysses, NE. Never heard of it! ok... So it's just a Hamilton number 113520 private label... I'll keep it anyways. Thought I'd just see if anyone else knew of any other Homesteads or if this is possibly a one of a kind. I'll post better pictures when I receive it.

If someone is dying to have it for their collection, let me know, I'm not a big Hamilton Collector, but thought it was unique to say the least and should be saved.

Thanks,

Jared

November 06, 2011, 09:49
Jared Brinker
Here's the movement shot.

November 06, 2011, 12:29
Roger Stephens
Serial no. says it is a 925 circa 1900. Regards Roger
November 06, 2011, 13:08
Tom Brown
The watch was sold from Hamilton to Sylvester Rhodes of Ulysses, Butler, NE. The 1900 census for that city lists him as a jeweler born in May of 1853 In Pa.
November 08, 2011, 20:48
Richard M. Jones
Ulysses Nebraska is a mall farming community in Butler county Nebraska (near Suprise and Bee Nebraska). Great names! At one time it was a fairly prosperous town and I remember my grandfather buying farm machinery there. Like most of the smaller towns the population has declined over the last 70-80 years. I know it had a hotel. doctor and livery stable and when I was in college in Hastings Nebraska it had some great pheasant hunting.

Deacon
November 08, 2011, 20:50
Richard M. Jones
Jared I almost forgot to ask what you wanted for the watch!

Deacon
November 08, 2011, 22:54
Jared Brinker
Deacon-

Let me get the watch in and take a look at it. I should get it in tomorrow. I wondered if it wouldn't be one you would be interested in with you being in Omaha. I'm originally from Jefferson, IA which is about 2 hours NE of omaha on old highway 30.

I'll post some better pics when I get it and should have a better idea on condition.

Thanks,

Jared
November 12, 2011, 23:08
Jared Brinker
I got the watch in today. It took a little work on this one. This one was very dirty. Here is a pic of the pallet fork area. I will point out that this watch was running this way too, although a little sluggish. Can you imagine if someone didn't clean it and kept running it this way what damage could occur over time?

November 12, 2011, 23:16
Jared Brinker
I ended up tearing it down a d doing a full cleaning and oiling on it, followed by replacing a bad jewel. I managed to dig around in my hamilton parts to find one that would match well too. I also threw a crystal and a bow onto it. Overall, turned out very well I might say.

November 12, 2011, 23:17
Jared Brinker
Here is a shot of the dial. There is a very tiny chip by the 9 that is covered by the bezel, with a hairline from it that runs to the second bit. Very light one, but it is there.

November 12, 2011, 23:20
Jared Brinker
The case does have some brassing around the rim of the case, but it hand polished with a polishing cloth very well. The lids shut decently, so I don't see any reason to scrap the case or get a different one. Here is the case after I added a bow.

November 12, 2011, 23:21
Jared Brinker
This is a 25 year Union case.

November 13, 2011, 09:30
Roger J. Nolfe
Nice job! Smile Cool
November 13, 2011, 09:56
Brad Richardson
Man Jared! You must have bionic eyes! I can't see the hairline you mentioned at all! Simply a beautiful watch. Regards, Brad
November 13, 2011, 10:14
Wayne C. Anderson
Jared Nice find - I live very close to Ulysses - drove through town just a month ago....very small town now days, but at one time was a booming town. Most people living there are of German descent.
November 13, 2011, 12:14
Richard M. Jones
Jared it is beautiful and I cannot see the hairline so it must be small. Wayne is right about it having a German population, maybe that is why my German Grandfather knew people there? I will buy it if you want to sell it.

Deacon
November 13, 2011, 13:29
Jared Brinker
Deacon-

I sent an email to you on it last night. Let me know if you didn't receive it.

Thanks,

Jared