Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham A-17 vs. Bulova A-17A vs. Elgin A-17A "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,

haven't posted much here, but thought I'd do a little photo essay on the Waltham A-17, Bulova A-17A and Elgin A-17A - including a short comparison.

Waltham A-17

Bulova A-17A

Elgin A-17A

Bulova A-17A vs. Elgin A-17A

Waltham A-17 vs. Bulova A-17A vs. Elgin A-17A

Hope this was of interest - kind regards,

Billy

Posts: 23 | Location: Gallup, New Mexico U.S.A. | Registered: February 25, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Speaking for myself, VERY much so.

One question I have is, were the Bulova cases made of stainless steel or base metal?

This has been of GREAT interest to me. Thank you for posting these comparison photos.

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Billy,

Thanks for taking the time and effort for your post. I really enjoyed looking at your pictures.

Regards,

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
posted
Nice collection of A-17's. I realy like the bracelet with pilot wings.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thank you. Fine images and a great collection of A-17's.

Do you have any information as to the dates these three companies recieved their contracts and produced the A17?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thanks for all the kind replies.

Unfortunately I don't have the original Specifications for the A-17, nor the ammendments for the A-17A. From all the examples I've come across in the past 8 yrs (and info from fellow collectors) it seems that the following info is correct in regard to contract dates:

Waltham A-17: 1950, 1952, 1956

Bulova A-17A: 1956, 1959

Elgin A-17A: 1956, 1959

Perhaps other members would like to comment ?

Kind regards,

Billy

Posts: 23 | Location: Gallup, New Mexico U.S.A. | Registered: February 25, 2005
posted
I also really like the pilot wings bracelet. After looking closely and thinking it was a shame that two pairs of pilot's wings had been sacrificed to make the bracelet (I have a fair sized personal collection of WW II era wings and so have a special appreciation of them) I noticed that this was not the case. They are not real pilot's wings - they are a retailer's or a jeweler's interpretation of pilot's wings to make this wonderful bracelet. Anyway, I really like it. Regular bracelets made up from a single pair of wings and some links soldered on each end are quite common, but I have never seen a watch bracelet like this.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Too bad the pictures got messed up. This was the best photo comparison on the web.

Posts: 15 | Location: Northern Arkansas in the USA | Registered: September 30, 2009
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Agree. I am trying to work on one of my friends Waltham A-17. It has a busted dial, and the hands are broken off (story as I understand it is that his father-in-law was knocked over while walking down the hallway of a VA hospital therefore crushing the dial and somehow he hands were also ripped off). I am trying to determine what the originals looked like and also if the seconds hand stem is broken off inside. Would be nice to see someone pull these from the old archive!

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
There's little value to this topic without the pictures. That's why for the long term, it's best to upload your pictures here rather than using a 3rd party hosting service like photobucket.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
I would really like to see & copy those pictures. The my Bulova website could really use the pictures to settle some on going disputes. Along with the Military Specification and the Technical Repair Manual.

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007