Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

100 years ago: U.S. entry into WWI "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
April 6, 2017 marks the 100th anniversary of the entry of the US into WWI.

To mark the event here is an A.S.S.C. aircraft clock made by the Chelsea clock Co.

Posts: 1964 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Very nice Chelsea aircraft clock, Greg! For those reading this who are not familiar with A.S.S.C. it stands for Aviation Section, Signal Corps which was part of the Army. There was no Air Force back then. The A.S.S.C. was the name of the aviation branch of the US military up until May 23, 1918. On May 24, 1918 the name was changed to the Air Service or A.S. and was still a part of the Army. This name was in place until July 2, 1926. So if you find a timepiece with A.S.S.C. markings it is definitely WW 1 in age. If you find one with A.S. markings, it might be WW 1 but that name and marking were used for about 8 years after the war while it was only used for 6 months during the war which ended in on November 11, 1918 so you would need to check the date of the movement as the odds are more likely it is post war than war time.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
That's right Jim. I should also point out that the Chelsea Clock Co. is still in business. For $35.00 you can get a certificate from Chelsea providing the date your clock was shipped and to whom it was shipped. These letters are especially valuable if you have an old Chelsea which is not otherwise marked with the name of a military or commercial organization.

According to the Chelsea Clock Co website they introduced their first aircraft clock in November of 1917. However according to a recently received Chelsea factory letter one of my other Chelsea aircraft clocks was shipped in November of 1916. So there are some rather interesting items to be found and researched in this area of collecting.

Posts: 1964 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Interesting. Over twenty years ago I was in Chelsea Clock looking for a movement for an old clock my wife's grandfather had. The fellow I talked with had a lot of knowledge for sure. I would have to wonder if he is still around.

I used to drive by the street it was on every day.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I was recently the recipient of a gift from a great and special friend of a solid Brass 10.75" hinged case/8.5" dial, with a U.S. Navy Chelsea sea clock, second hand sweep, time only, 8 day - 12E movement made 1940-1944. Its quite heavy as the case alone weighs over 10 lbs !! This one saw service on a vessel as there were several Chelsea clocks on-board these ships. I have it out getting a COA right now and getting a new part or two. It's a beautiful piece and I will cherish it forever.

regards,
bb

Picture 1;

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Picture 2;

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Picture 3;

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Nice gift!

Smile

Posts: 5207 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Thanks Debbie, it's quite beautiful !!

regards,
bb

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I got my WWII US Naval Clelsea clock back last week with a fresh COA and a couple new parts. It's good for another 75 years of service !!

regards,
bb

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
It's a beauty Buster!

Here's my US Army Chelsea.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Very nice Dave !!!

regards,
bb

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thank you,
I picked that clock up at an auction.
The case falling apart and tossed in a cardboard box. Looked like it had been there for years. All of the parts were warped and the finish was gone.
The clock had a broken balance, which I sent off for repair.
After I finally got the case finished, and the balance repaired this clock is probably the most accurate mechanical clock I own. The picture shows all the imperfections. Looks like I could have given that top screw and the bakelight a little more love!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Great save ! For all members, if you have a Chelsea, or run across one that needs repairs or you want to save contact "Mr Chelsea"!! He knows volumes about these clocks and he has ALL the parts. His name is Ron Bechler 1 408 926 3212. He's in San Juan, Ca. His email is ronbechler@comcast.net

He's 83 years old and sharp as a tack. If you need anything contact him, he likes to talk about the Chelsea's, he's very passionate about them.

Mr Bechler said to always have your repairman to look closely at the 2nd wheel and pivots as that's basically the only part that wears on the clocks.

regards,
bb

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Good for you to post this Buster,
When searching for parts on mine, most of the references led me back to the Chelsea Co. who still does repair them, but it ain't cheap!
I found an old guy in FL. who does balance wheel staffs. (Who used to work for Chelsea).

Dave Turner