• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Navy first in series time pieces? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does anyone know if the U.S. Navy commissioned first in a new series of ships commemorative watches or clocks for either to officers or crew? I am most interested in WW2 era ships when production was at it's height. So many ships were being modified and upgraded during this time. I have not heard of anything, but would like to know if anyone else knows an answer.

Posts: 5 | Location: Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 13, 2017
posted
I am not quite sure what your question is. Are you asking if the US Navy issued a contract for the purpose of purchasing watches and clocks to officially issue to officers and crew in order to commemorate WW2 ships? If so, then I would have a hard time believing that is something they would do. This sounds like something that the many private companies who churn out endless commemorative knickknacks and market them in a way that unwary people might take to mean they are actually official might do. I would guess that even places like the National Museum of the US Navy and the like might stock this sort of thing in their gift shops. If it were me I would rather just buy an actual WW2 vintage watch or clock which except for chronometers are not overly expensive.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Thanks Jim for your opinion of my question. My father was on a number of different ships, some as what is called the 'plank holders' because that crew were the first crew to be assigned to that vessel. I will check with the Navy museum about special interest watches and clocks.

Posts: 5 | Location: Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 13, 2017
posted
Here is a link to the results of a search for Weems and Plath timepieces on Amazon. W&P is just one of a number of modern makers of reproduction ship timepieces out there and I am only mentioning these to show you some of one maker's examples. These modern timepieces with quartz movements and battery powered. But as I mentioned before, the real thing - Navy ships clocks that were actually used during WW 2 are not much more money, are far higher quality being all mechanical in their functioning, and they are relatively common and can be found by the dozens all day long on Ebay. And having one that was actually used during the war time would be much more meaningful to me that a modern repro that never came near an actual ship.

Repro ships clocks

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004