Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Henry Moser "Signals" watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Henry Moser "Signals" watch

Hi everyone here. New member just joined and directed here by a contributor to another forums.
This is causing some head scratching. I have been offered this watch by someone I know reasonably well. It seems to me that it is some kind of pocket watch conversion or else it is what it appears to be with some "improvements" to the dial. I would greatly appreciate some opinions as he is asking a significant price.
Regards, Roy

Posts: 17 | Location: Brighton in the United Kingdom | Registered: April 04, 2017
posted
Only one image at a time?

Posts: 17 | Location: Brighton in the United Kingdom | Registered: April 04, 2017
posted
and another

posted
yet more...

posted
and finally...

posted
Is there any way of contracting my user name? Whilst not wishing to be positively cryptic I'd prefer to supply a minimum of information in the current climate of identity piracy.
Roy

posted
This appears to be a somewhat modified example of the WW 1 Moser Signal Corps, Corps of Engineers, US Army wristwatch. Here is a photo of one that one of the guys here kindly shared with us, along with many other different maker examples of this Army wrist watch that were procured by the Corps of Engineers for the use of certain of their men during the first world war. Some differences are that the hands on your are not the same, and the back has had all of the Army identification engraving either polished off or a new incorrect back cover has been installed.

In general these are not common watches, but they are not solid gold either. One that has been modified might attract a lower price than an all original one in my way of viewing such things, especially one that is lacking its military markings on the back of the case.

Moser Signal Corps watch

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Many thanks for the observations which coincide generally with my relatively uninformed opinion. I've seen enough of these "military upgrades" to be immediately suspicious.
No one has mentioned the Cyrillic text. I believe Moser had a Russian subsidiary but how would that appear on a U.S. Signal Corps watch? Seems entirely wrong to me.
Unfortunately the person (who I know) who offered it to me paid a four figure sum for this watch and wants to recover it with a profit. Hmm....
Roy

posted
Slight misunderstanding. I'd like to truncate my user name for security reasons where general dissemination is involved -
I can't see where this change is possible in my user profile.
Roy

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Welcome to the IHC185 Internet club !! You will need to contact the administration through an email to make changes to your log in or anything in your profile or contact info.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Roy,

I have updated your profile information.

Debbie

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I have found the old Hy Moser watches to be interesting. I have repaired examples of Moser U.S. Army Signal Corps wristwatches and Moser pocket watches made for the Imperial Russian government and Moser watches made for civilian Russian market.

In my opinion, the dial on the above watch has been repainted/refinished with fake Signal Corps markings.

The watch appears to me to be a converted Hy Moser pocket watch. I strongly suspect the conversion from pocket to wristwatch took place recently.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if the above watch was offered to me for purchase I would decline. In my opinion the above Moser watch has no collectors value.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Greg knows these much better than I do and I would pay close attention to his thoughts if it were being offered to me.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1613
posted
Here is my Moser that I bought several years ago as a project watch...You guessed it, it now sits in a drawer probably will never get refinished...Looks like this one is pin set...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Pic #2

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Pic #3

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Gary, Yes, it needs a little work but it is the real thing.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002