Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

tower clock intrigue- guess whats up there -1920 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
tower clock intrigue

I drive by this clock everyday , it is in Cambridge Md , it was the old town hall / fire dept. . I am dying to get in there to see what is powering it and what did power it . i will keep you posted !

Edit - lets have some fun - Guess what is up there ! the original is still there , although converted , Cambridge is an old town , the Phillips packing house's took up half the town at one time , so there was money here -it's all gone now . winner gets a gold star on his forehead

I never did get in touch with the person maintaining it , somebody is , all the old parts are close by . I will find find him soon .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Looking forward to it. Take a lot of pictures!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
will do Dave, the building has been vacant for a while , the old bell/siren tower has windows missing and pigeons just rolling in and out. The offices look like they just walked away one day . I am surprised that such a neat building in the middle of town would be allowed to deteriorate like this . This will be my summer good deed, save the building , find a good use for it .

IHC Life Member
posted
Kevin,

Hopefully you will get lucky like I did and be able to rescue a tower clock and possibly a bell too. Start the pursuit! I still have the Meneely clock and bell. Clock is partially restored, but has a long way to go. Meneely Tower Clock

Good Luck!
Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Good job Roger! Question is, where are the progress pictures between 2009 and now? Smile
I'll be looking for those too.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
I didn't want to hijack Kevin's thread so I have posted pictures here: Meneely Tower Clock

posted
the old building was town hall and firehouse at one time , now it is just neglected. A job for me !

posted
climb some steps , beautiful ironwork

posted
more steps

posted
up a ladder steps

posted
Into the top

posted
dial

posted
spare parts , old escapement

posted
and the movement .......start guessing !!

i'll tease

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
If I had to guess it would be just that, a wild guess. But glad to see it's still all there.

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
posted
I will guess E Howard tower clock.
Not many of them left.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
We have a winner !! an E Howard , I am not sure about the model but intend to be back in the building , it seems a shame to have this piece of history smack in the center of town going to dis-repair , I guess it is like many small towns that have lost the source of jobs .

posted
more

posted
more 2 , a few pictures did not come out , will get more , I ran across the records for howard tower clocks , although the did not list this one , it showed the 2 neighboring towns had Howards in them , one in Easton , and the other Salisbury . I wonder if this was installed new ?

IHC Life Member
posted
Looks to be in good shape. I hope it can be restored, Or at least saved from damage from pigeons and neglect.

Our Clallam county courthouse has an E Howard tower clock working fine in its restored tower.
Here's a link to a video made after the tower was restored.

https://vimeo.com/27675725

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
I hope you can manage to save it. This might help identify the model:

E. Howard Model Numbers

posted
The actual tower and most of the building are in good shape , it just has not seen maint. in a few years , a coat of paint and a few carpenters will do wonders , but it looks like the heat was turned off and some plaster is letting go , never turn off the heat in an old building .