• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Baby Ben let down click issue "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've been working on a 1920's Westclox baby Ben peg leg for a while now and managed to get it together to test the train, but discovered it won't wind. It looks as if the let down click, is that the right term, is worn so when I wind it, the mainspring flies backwards. Anything I can do short of looking for the part? This was a ten dollar eBay find to use for training.

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
IHC Member 2134
posted
I'm no expert, but it kind of looks like the gear is upside down as the click doesn't seem to match the tooth pattern.

Mort Denison

Posts: 175 | Location: York, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2016
posted
No I compared it to another one I had from a different clock. I think the click tooth is worn off and that's why it looks like it doesn't fit right.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Dale maybe you could dress up the gear and click with a file..Looks like both parts have a good bit of wear...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
posted
I took another look and now see that the point of the click is bent up. Only problem now is I have no idea how to take the barrel off the plate.

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello Dale, yes the click is worn badly and bend down, take some packing tape sticky side out, stick it to the gear and turn back slightly, release the click with a set of tweezers, and repeat over and over to release pressure then you can disassemble...regards

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
Life Member
posted
After you get the spring let down you can reshape the end of the click to properly lock into the ratchet wheel. If I remember correctly, those wheels are swaged onto the arbor, and cannot easily be separated. If you can get it apart without wrecking it, though, you might want to rework a few of those rounded ratchet teeth, too. There is plenty of "meat" left in the click. You can get away with re-shaping it, without having to replace it. You may find, though, that you will have to add tension to the click spring, to keep it riding snugly against the ratchet.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
posted
Thanks for all the help.

I just realized I put this question and a couple of others under the wrong forum. I didn't see the other one about clock repair questions. I apologize for being such a newb!