Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas 2 Dial Day Date "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
I would like some help with information on this clock. I have had it a long time and would like to know how old it is current market value would be much appreciated as I am considering selling it. Rich Kuhn

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice clock Rich, I believe that is the Office Calendar #6. Can't really advise you on value. But it looks to be in very good condition.
Rosewood?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Thanks Dave I am not sure of the wood I am more a watch guy

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
There are 4 of them antiqueseththomasclocks.com to look at.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's one recently sold. $500
Seth Thomas Office #6

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
So far every interesting thank you both for the information hopefully we will see some more coments

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 1725
posted
Rich,

Sorry I can't add any extra info, Dave and Lorne always has great information about clocks.

Very nice looking clock!

Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Rich, while not completely correct, timesavers.com has a replacement sweep second hand available.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Not into clocks as much as most people Rich, but it looks more like a No 7 to me, judging by the case decoration. I have seen sale prices for these go as high as $1,800 but as always dependant on the buyer.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Bila, I thought so too at first, but now I don't know. Here's a reference that shows what appears to be the clock in question, but some are #6 and some are #7. The #6 is 32" and the #7 is 26 1/2".
Found some more info in an old Seth Thomas clock catalogue.
The 6 has a 12" dial and calendar dial of 10".
The 7 has a 10" dial and calendar dial of 8".
Both of these clocks were available in time only or time and strike. New prices were from $15 to $18, with the #6 being the more expensive of the two.

Seth Thomas #6 and #7

Dave Turner

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
I will measure the dial sizes tonight and post the information

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
OK the dials are
10" for time and 8" for the calender so I am thinking it is a #7 if Dave's information is right. do I get a concurnce?

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 1725
posted
I agree with Dave. In the Tran Duy Ly book it gives the same measurements that Dave quoted.

Don't see any information on the movement between the #6 and #7. I would think the same movement.

Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I concur. It's a #7.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Thanks everybody now I have to decide if I want to sell it. My biggest fear about that is shipping it I know all the glass is original and I am afraid of the clock being damaged.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Life Member
posted
Best way to ship is with the pendulum ball wrapped separately (in bubble wrap), and taped to the outside of the case on one side. Use a rubber band on the pendulum hook, and catch the band in the door, so that it retains a little tension on the pendulum leader. Then protect the faces by laying it face down on a sheet of cardboard, backed by 1/4" or thicker plywood, and wrapping the whole shebang in bubble wrap then shipping tape, then packaging all that in a box with more bubble wrap and then that inside a second, larger box, with bubble wrap or peanuts filling all space between the two boxes. It is best if the outer box is at least one inch larger than the inner in all dimensions. That will leave plenty of room for Styrofoam peanuts or bubble wrap as shock absorbent.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015