Internet Horology Club 185
Divers Helmet Clock

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/5111077223

October 12, 2008, 17:40
Steve Middlesworth
Divers Helmet Clock
I just spent the last 5 hours cleaning up this clock which was passed to me when my father passed away earlier this year. A wonderful man and was so proud to have been a Navy salvage diver in WWII. I had been putting this off and decided today was the day. I dismantled it and cleaned each piece before putting it back together. Simichrome is the ultimate cleaner and polisher. There were some spots I didn't think were going to clean up but they did. The movement is nothing fancy, just a quartz movement but the brass pieces are spectacular making this a very unique clock. Just thought I would share it with you.

Steve

October 12, 2008, 17:42
Steve Middlesworth
Here is a picture of my dad when he was in the Navy and in his suit of "Honor".

October 12, 2008, 17:43
Steve Middlesworth
Clock from the front......

October 12, 2008, 17:44
Steve Middlesworth
Clock from the back....

October 12, 2008, 18:06
Lindell V. Riddle

Beautiful work Steve, and what a wonderful tribute to your dads memory.

He would be so proud of you today!

Lindell

Wink

October 12, 2008, 20:50
Roger J. Nolfe
Wow!! That is just spectacular. Thanks for sharing.
October 13, 2008, 15:18
Wayne Hanley
Wow Steve! What a tribute to your Dad's memory!

Wayne
October 14, 2008, 20:31
Steve Middlesworth
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate all the kudos. I can't even begin to imagine how old this thing is or where my dad would have found it. I can remember it from when I was kid, at least 40 years ago. I know it has gone a long time since it was looking like this. If the gleam dosen't last I will redo it and shoot all the parts with clear lacquer before reassembling it.

Steve
October 15, 2008, 07:21
Phillip Sanchez
Great story and great photos Steve. Thank you for sharing that with us. Sure makes me miss my Dad.