• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tall Case Identification "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This clock id 92in tall, 18in wide, and 10.5in deep. My research on the dial points to its being done by James Wilson, English dial maker 1777-1809. I seem to remember that the movement may have come from a New Hampshire clock maker, but that may be totally wrong. Any help in identification would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Dial front

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Dial Back

posted
Calendar dial back

posted
Dial year, number?

posted
Movement

posted
Movement back

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
That movement looks to be English, maybe early 1800. The making on the date dial Wilson-Birm shows to me the dial likely made in Birmingham England by Wilson.
Interesting the rear plate having a cutout coming to a peak. Not familiar with that.
Moses

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
Moses, thank you for your info. Both front and back plates have the same cutout. I seem to remember a clock maker from Maybe New Hampshire using a similar cutout.

Life Member
posted
Case details might give clues as to maker and location. Need to know things such as primary and secondary woods, how the hood is attached, shape of internal glue blocks. Dimensions of all parts. All that sort of thing.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Member 2030
posted
Very nice piece of machinery and history.
Please keep the story going.
Thanks
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015