Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Striking 3 minute before the hour and half hour "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All,

I am in the process of giving my sisters H.Samuel (Manchester) 8 day Mantle clock a full service.

I have cleaned, reassembled and oiled.
it's now on testing jig for regulating but straight away I have noticed that it is striking 3 minutes before the hour and half hour... The minute hand has a brass bush with square holed fitting...

My first thought was to ease the hand round on the bush, but the bush is to tightly fitted so I gave up on that as I think this would end up in tears with the hand breaking...
or is it something more simple like moving the minute wheel forward a couple of teeth...?

Or have I overlooked something?
The Clock is running fine and so far is only loosing 1 minute over 36 hours which I'm pleased with

I never come across this before so hence the question for simple fix.

My sister said its ok but to me it's that pride thing to me of getting it right...
She says "I'm to fussy and always have to stand the little soldiers in straight line"

any suggestion would be appreciated :-)

Cheers
Bryan

Posts: 49 | Location: Southampton in the United Kingdom | Registered: September 05, 2014
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Without seeing the clock or the hands, one possibility might be to adjust the bushing in minute hand.

Is this a Hermle movement?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Hi Dave,

The name on the movement is:
British Anvil
Made in PERIVALE LONDON

It's 14 day and not 8

I'll have to take a picture of the minute hand in the morning if you need it...

Cheers
Bryan :-)

After Service Picture

Posts: 49 | Location: Southampton in the United Kingdom | Registered: September 05, 2014
posted
Makers Mark

Makers mark

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I'm still speculating here, but I'd say you might have the center wheel off one tooth or maybe two.

It would be easy to change and see.

You've done a fine job of cleaning! It looks good!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Thank you Dave,
I'm practising like mad at the moment in prep for the start of my BHI diploma in October.

I will start with the minute wheel adjustment tomorrow and will post the out come..

Many Thanks for your help Smile
Bryan

Life Member
posted
If it was striking properly before you disassembled it, then it is almost certain you have one of the wheels off by a tooth or two. If, however, it has always struck either before or after the top of the hour, then the bushing in the minute hand needs to be adjusted. Here is a photo of a tool I made for that little job. I cross drilled a piece of 1/4" cold rolled bar stock, and drove a square "cut" nail through until it was tight. (Cut maails are hardened; you can't trim them with either nippers or a saw unless you have a carbide blade)I then ground the extra portion of the nail off flush with the bar stock. It fits everything from the smallest Hermle/Urgos movements up through Keininger and most of the Herschede minute hands.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
posted
All sorted Wink

Many thanks for your assistance guys...

By moving the minute wheel 2 teeth it has corrected the striking.
Something I will remember to check in the future.

Kind Regards
Bryan

Picture of Tim Evans
posted
This technique works too.

How To Adjust The hands on your Hermle movement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_dAmsUlG3o

Tim
UsedClockParts.com

Posts: 2 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2016