Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Howard Miller at Goodwill "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I had purchased an eight day clock movement from Paul Davis and was trying to find the time to build a case for it. While at the Goodwill store last week in Cincinnati with my wife, I was walking around and came across this clock sitting on an end table. I really liked the case and thought maybe I could put it to use with that clock movement that I bought. Upon inspecting it I noticed it had a quartz movement in it and the front was not hinged to the box but attached directly to it. This would mean I would have to figure out a way to cut it away from the box and put hinges into it in order to adjust and or set the time on the clock as well as wind the movement. Needless to say, I couldn’t pass up such a deal, it was going to cost me $12.50 for this clock. I got it home and replaced the batteries in the movement and everything worked except the time. It has a Westminster chime that plays through a little speaker in the top of the box.

I ended up going to the Howard Miller website which showed this clock but no price on it or parts but gave me the option to find a dealer near me. I ended up going to eBay and doing research and found that this clock brand new list on eBay for $600. I also went to Amazon and found it listed at the same price. I was also able to find a replacement Hermel clock movement for $84 on eBay shipped to me. This is the way I chose to go.

My $12.50 clock ended up costing me just shy of $100 but I could not buy it for less than $600 if it was something I was looking for. I would prefer a mechanical clock myself but this one looks and sounds nice hanging in my living room.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
thats nice steve , I keep a quartz mantle clock in the living room just because it ha a nice case . Is that a moon dial ? is it functional ?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Kevin, it’s a fake calendar moon dial unfortunately but I do like the volume control on it though and the fact it reduces the volume after 10:00 pm.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008