Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Customer asked me to fix this mess "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
ello my name is Paul, I had a good customer ask me if I could do something with his glass ball clock, that he had taken to a so called watch maker and he took out the original movement cause he couldn't get it to run right, of course it was a swiss movement, and he rigged this dollar watch movement in it and gave it back to him..of course he was not happy, so he asked me and I told him I would do what I could to at least make it worth something again, my first thought was to take out all the trash and junk it ( see pic of bag of junk) I took the ring out and soldered the collar to the ring, I inserted a rubber washer to hold the Waltham movement in place( yes a 18 size Waltham movement) , I used a square piece of hardened steel to file down and use as the stem, I used a tap and die set to cut threads inside the collar to hold the sleeve, and I used a large crown soldered to the top of the stem to make it look like original..considering what I started with I think this thing turned out pretty nice for one of a kind( as far as I know) and my customers reaction was WOW, that looks super, decide for yourself and leave your comments for all of us to learn from..thanks

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Bag of junk

Paul Davis

Bag of junk

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
All the old pieces

Paul Davis

Old pieces

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Finished front side

Paul Davis

Front side

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Rear of ball clock

Paul Davis

Rear of clock

Life Member
posted
Nice job, Paul.

Whoever discarded the original "guts" should be listed on this, the national, and any other watch or clock repair sites as someone to avoid.

I have one question, though - Was the case too small to insert an 8 day size 37 Waltham clock?

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Paul, great work. Thanks for sharing that.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Thanks for the replies and yes David the opening to hold the movement was only about 1/2 bigger than the 18 size movement I used, but the 18 was right at the same as the original. thanks

Paul Davis