• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Accutron Astronaut 214HN problem "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Accutron Astronaut 214HN problem. Help. Astronaut runs great while wearing it. Set it down dial up or any position overnight or longer and it loses a lot of time, maybe up to two hours. Reset it and wear it and it runs fine. This watch requires a 1.35v battery like purchased from Esslinger. Don't know if this fact contributes to the problem or not. Do any of you know or suspect what is happening?

Posts: 4 | Location: Oregon in the USA | Registered: January 31, 2016
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
sounds like you will need a service the finer or adjustment on the index your battery should not effect the movement.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Thanks for your thoughts. The confounding part is that it runs so good while wearing it. I understand that a clean watch is a good thing, but what will cleaning do to solve this problem? Are you be saying the gear pivots might have dried up causing more resistance to movement? I also wondered if the hacking strap might be a little too close to timing fork and slows the watch down with no wrist activity. Anyway thanks for your comments.

posted
not necessarily cleaning but have certify accutron technician look at it,like you point out the tunning fork or index finger might be not in right position or might be loose .
Im not an expert just Jack of all trades.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Doug,
I completed the training course on Accutron watches, and these watches dry out same a any other watch, need regular service or run until dry and risk damaging now irreplaceable parts, the cells as I am sure you know dont last long compared to modern watches and the newer 1.5v cells work fine,(with adaptor ring) yes timing will be a little different but is very minimal, and they are also much cheaper.
I personally don't like these watches as the only parts you can find are other worn parts and hope it runs for a while.
You must find someone who works on these often not someone willing to have a go they are very easy to destroy.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thank you!

Smile

Posts: 5207 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
I have seen this before. Only on the 214 model. The back of the case is giving you the problem. When you put the watch on the setting stem is push in. When you take it off it will go into the setting. Have the back gasket change out and see if this will help.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
posted
Billy thank you for that info very helpfull in future purchase or repairs of accutrons .

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Doug,
I have a RR 214 that does similar things, but not near as radical. Mine looses or gains a few minutes in a few days when I hang mine up, but I found out if its is laying on its back for awhile it runs great hanging again. While I'm wearing it, it is a great timekeeper..Go figure.
I have a 214 Astronaut and a 218 Astronaut Mark ll and both run perfect no matter where they are at.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
To all who have answered me, thank you. I have been out of town. Thanks for the tips. I never expected such great comments. If you don't want to pay a small fortune to have it gone through, is it possible to transfer all the dial side gears, etc. that make an Astro an Astro to a nice working 214 hacking like a railroad movement and have a working Astronaut. I know purists would kill me for going away from the HN movement, but I would have a good running Astro and the HN movement in the drawer.

Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
I have a very nice 214 RR looks to be NOS.
Would you be interested in a trade??

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
posted
I don't think so. I have several 214s and 218s. Thanks for offering. Doug