Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Accutron... 'WHOA!' "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...well I bought(Ebay) my first Accutron(218) Thursday last(20th)...after introducing a new battery(387S) to and a little 'tweaking' of the regulator, this 'machine' kept time to within a sec after 3 days...this w/o a doubt will not be my 1st and only Accutron purchase...Holy Horology!!!

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I bought my first Accutron on time payments... 1967 was the year and I just had to have it. Congratulations on your discovery Jim, they are very cool watches.

Here is more information...

"The Amazing Bulova Accutron"

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Jim,
I bought one a few months ago from the same place ebay. its a great watch and a lot of fun, mine keeps great time too.

1974 218

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
Lindell, Do you still have your original Accutron, and, if so, did you think to keep the original box and papers?

Tom

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Nice watch Jim here is one that needs a crystal it also is a good time kepper...I was offered a 218 that was new old stock in the box at the lexington ky. show friday..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Samie,

Hmmmmmm.

Tom,

Yes and yes! The day I saw this watch I fell in love with the timeless design... still looks pretty good today.

What do you think?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell, Yes, that is a winner. No doubt. I still have my HS graduation Gruen, and I also kept the original box.

Tom

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
My first was a brand new 214 RR approved model, and I purchased it back in 1975. I wore it while dating my soon to be wife, who told me at the time she REALLY didn't like the 'whistling' noise it created. Not long afterward I traded it off...

Not to long ago I mentioned it again to her, tell her what I was reading on another forum, and how much the 214 is collected now, and without missing a beat, she said..."..that's nice, but I NEVER DID like that watch." Frown So much for building a case to replace it. Roll Eyes

Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I also owned an Accutron quartz pocket watch in a steel case and railroad approved dial just before my second daughters birth. Sold it to my wife's uncle who worked on a railroad shortline in Florida, and he carried it until he retired last year. Wonder if he still has it? Roll EyesRegards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
My late grandfather, who was an engineer for Seaboard Coastline RR used to let me sit on his knee and listen to that buzzing sound from his RR Approved 214 Bulova Accutron. I am looking for one now to buy. Every time I see one, I remember him. He is the reason I love watches so much. I think he purchased his in the 60's so that would make it an M serial number I believe?

It is what it is!

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Update! Last time I was up visiting in Kentucky, I saw the uncle who had finally retired from the Florida railroad and moved back home....and who asked me if I'd like that Accutron quartz railroad watch back? He said he had dropped it while at work one day and 'smashed the dial'.

I thought, 'well, ok, at least I'd have it for old time sake', and said, 'sure, I'd LOVE to have it!'

Long story short, what he had done was break the crystal. It stopped, he couldn't get the back off the watch, and just tossed it in a drawer. There it lay for years.

I sent it down to Chris Abell who fit a new crystal, polished the case, and installed a new battery.

It's keeping perfect time on its watch hook 'as we speak', and looks brand new!

Nice to have it back! I looked up the date, and I purchased that watch new in 1981 from Morgan Brothers Jewelers in Portsmouth, Ohio!

I was also able to finally replace my 214 with ANOTHER 214 from 1976 that is also hanging on its hook keeping perfect time.

Still not my wife's favorite. ;-)

Regards! Mark