Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Which wristwatch did you wear today? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Palindromic serial number!

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Thank you all for your kind words and I'm glad my PW conversion has been well received. I have to say, I was a bit unsure how our forum members would receive my conversion.

I came across the PW in a thrift store's bin. No case, just movt., dial and hands in a zip lock bag. I couldn't let that beautiful movt. and porcelain dial remain in a bin of bits so home it came. I own a few Panerai WW so the size 6s seemed a natural for a PAM case. The rest was planning, hunting parts and help and encouragement from my Mrs.

Posts: 45 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: October 25, 2016
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Eric, so you have an extra Paneri WW case that was just right for this movement? What a perfect marriage.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Eric you must have done some movement rings as the pan case is bit too big for size 6 movement and how did you overcome the setting mechanism issue?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Sorry guys, been away.

Yes, the PAM case is a little larger so a custom movt ring had to be made. As I don't have the benefit of owning or acess to a lathe or other machinist tools, I measured the diamaeter and thickness needed with a caliper and used everyday white PVC pipe to make my ring. Easy and inexpensive.

The setting mechanism wasn't overcome. Sometimes keeping it simple and not overthinking or trying to dominate something is the best path. In other words I worked with what I had and didn't try to create something that wasn't. When the crown lever is in the closed position, the watch can be wound. When it's opened, it's in the setting position.

With regard to the PAM case, I didn't have an extra on my work bench. What I said was having owned a PAM (Luminor 111) I knew the the 44mm case would be good for the 6s. I'm sure if you want an inexpensive alternative, Peter can provide the resource he used for the "PAM like" case he used to make one of his watches.

posted
Eric thank you for the info as I have few clients that would like to have vintage pocket watch movement in the luminor case .
Here is my watch for a day,hand crafted dial to look old and few chips on lume as well for the vintage look,Swiss eta 6497 under the hood as always.

posted
Glad I was able to be of help.
That's a beauty Peter! I love the vintage look. Is it a sandwich dial?

posted
Thanks,no sandwich just lume from back side to make it look like sandwich

posted
My brand new JORD Fieldcrest zebrawood and maple

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
I also have a new Advisor watch that has a Japanese quartz movement that is also a Panerai lookalike. It's a startup company and this watch is from a limited run "Founder's Edition" that won't be made again. Time will tell if they ever make anything else. Smile

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
Bronze case with brass brushed dial,crown and brass loops on nato strap, Im working on seconds hand it will have the Maltese cross non traditional second hand Smile

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
My 1980? Seiko 7223-6040 (quartz alarm) unrestored. The scratches on the crystal only show up in the photo. But it isn't worth replacing.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice watch Peter. I like the color combo between the brass and the green strap.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 2030
posted
Can I throw in a $14 Casio .
The timer is used for cooking London broil on the grill, not diving Smile

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Cool! So how hot does that thing get? Smile

Dave Turner

posted
Dave you got the Seiko running?
Mike $14 well spend.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Yes Peter I do. It's keeping perfect time, and the alarm functions as it should.
Here's what happened. I tried and tried to get the back off after I tried the new battery and nothing worked.
So, then I decided to open it up and see what it looked like. However, I never did get the back off! Didn't want to scratch it up with too much manipulation. So, after all that I had the intuition to try the battery again. Thinking all that movement might have had some effect. The hands would set easily, the alarm would set easily, but I noticed the second hand never did move at all.
So.... put the new battery in and everything works great!
I'm sure it needs a cleaning, but right now it's working fine. Wearing it every day.

Got any ideas on how to remove the back? It has a slotted wedge in the back opposite the winding stem for removal, but it won't budge. I suspect with the battery door, it might not have been off the watch ever. The case is pretty clean and shows no abuse.
Long story... sorry. Smile

Dave Turner

posted
no clue on how to open, have you look or google it some tutorials on youtube ?

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I have now. Found this one, and a lot more that are pretty pricey.
Case Opener

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1411
posted
Hamilton 17 jewel Alarm

Posts: 232 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2010
IHC Member 2030
posted
Dagone nice Michael! I heart hammies Smile
This one runs well.

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
One week in Sea of Cortez, from brand new bronze
watch to green monster .