Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Rolex or an Omega ? "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted

I found this posted over at broadarrow. The guy did such a good job, I thought it was the real strip.
MWR

So, what do you say - Rolex or Omega?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Greg,
I would choose one of those Omega things myself

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Well, since you asked...I would not buy either unless you are attached to a particular model for sentimental reasons. I tried Rolex, Breitling, and Omega. Good watches, but poor timekeepers. I recommend Ulysse Nardin. There are other more exclusive brands similar, but UN had a Nautical background which appeals to me. UN does not spend much on marketing, and does not produce nearly the numbers that the big Rolex houses churn out, so a much better watch can be had for the same amount of investment. Rolex is undisputed in the resale/value arena if you plan to incrementally upgrade your watch. Can't go wrong with Rolex, Omega, etc. Good watches.
To answer the question, I would go for the Omega Speed Master of the NASA Apollo vintage, just me, since the whole space program fascinates me as a definitive moment in great human achievement.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
posted
Matthew,
I don't know if you're aware of it or not, the majority of Ulysse Nardin watches, apart from their very high end stuff ( $30.0K - $330.0K ) use modified ETA 2892 movements. Also these watches with the modified ETA movements retail anywhere from $4500.00 - $17500.00 Eek

From my own personal experience, I have found Omega watches overall to be excellent timekeepers. Particularly the 24J Automatic Constellations from the 50's-60's. Depending on type of case materials used these can still be bought for fairly reasonable prices and would also make a pretty good investment.

Over the long haul, any wristwatch which has a certified chronometer rating should provide the best accuracy for a mechanical watch.

Note:- I also own a small number of Rolexes ( investment protection ), and have found the YGF 17J Automatic model from the 50's to be the best timekeeper of the bunch.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Darn it Dave,

You burst my bubble, I was ready to throw out my Omega Seamaster and get my self a UN, now I guess I will have to keep it.,LOL

Of course the reality of it all is. I don't expect my mech watches to keep nuclear time, as long as they are all within +/- .003 sec a day I'm ok, LOL

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
The Ulysse Nardin caliber 26 is a ETA 2892-A2 movement that has been finished by adding UN modules for wind indicator and seconds bit at 6:00. It has also had certain parts replaced and decorating applied. The ETA 2892-A2 is a very nicely engineered quality movement. As ETA was then acquired by the Swatch Group, distribution of their movements began to be limited to Swatch affiliation, so UN developed its own in-house movement. The ETA 2892-A2 is a robust design with plentiful parts availablity as opposed to in-house movements that are proprietary. In house movements limit alternatives for repair outside of the manufacture. ETA movements are used as a base for many high end wrist watches.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005