WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Otis "Reverso": A Rare Solid Gold Example "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I thought I would share with you these photographs of a true Hamilton rarity. His is the Hamilton Otis. It was produced in 1938 to 1940. It was cataloged in 14K yellow gold fill. Will Roseman, a tremendous student of the Hamilton Watch Company, suggested that his records from 1939 indicate that 4 examples of the Otis were produced in solid 14K yellow gold, and 1 in platinum. He is looking into the records for 1938 and 1940.

This example, unengraved and in extremely fine conditiion, was discovered at the Orlando Show last week by a friend of mine.

Enjoy the pictures

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Great watch Bill

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Wowwe Bill nice watch and White gold.. Smile Cool

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Very nice watch Bill! Thanks for showing it.

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
But watch out for the solid silver MODERN Swiss made replicas which turn up from time to time !

Dan

Silver replica OTIS

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
By "watch out" do you mean to beware of it, or to keep yours eyes open for one? In spite of being a replica it is a nice-looking watch. Was this made under Hamilton sanction or is it a counterfeit?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I love these!

And like my friend Jerry I want to know more about the silver ones.

Great topic!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
The Silver "Otis" is modern. All have same case serial number and a dial that is not quite the authentic Otis. It appears to be a casting using a mould, whereas the vintage Hamilton version is built up from a number of stampings.

dan

Silver replica OTIS

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
I will certainly defer to Will Roseman, Bryan Girouard, Rene Rondeau, Dan Mitchell, Mark Cardelluci or any other Hamilton Expert on this matter. I don't for a moment suggest to put myself into this class of experts.

However, I do believe that the Hamilton Otis was only produced by the Hamilton Watch Company of Lancaster PA between 1938 and 1940. My information is that it was only cataloged in yellow gold fill. Will Roseman and Rene Rondeau both suggest that it was also made in very, very limited numbers in solid gold. According to Will, several special order examples were also made in platinum.

I don't know of any data that suggests that the HWC made any in Sterling Silver. I've seen a few examples of Sterling Silver Hamilton Otis watches show up on Ebay. I've never seen one authenticated by a Hamilton expert. I'm very curious about the example that Dan recently pictured on this site. I've never before seen a silver example hallmarked with the name "Hamilton Watch Company". This example has other markings that, to my knowledge, aren't consistent with the practices of the Hamilton Watch Company.

I have no idea of this Silver Otis is "real" or not. I suspect that it is not, but I'd love to hear from others on this matter.

This is exactly why the IHC is so amazingly interesting....

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Dan is correct, but to put it more bluntly... the silver Otis models are fakes.

I've seen several at shows, usually offered with an accompanying story that they were from a former Hamilton employee or executive, etc. and therefore authentic.

They all have the same serial number. Plus the case construction and markings are inconsistent with what Hamilton used on the Otis.

The fakes have 980 movements and genuine Hamilton dials, albeit the wrong dial... one from another model.

I do not know where these watches originated. There are a number of places in the world where excellent copies of high-end watches such as Rolex and Omega are produced, perhaps these fake Hamiltons came from there.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004