• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Restoring Black Marble clock cases "Click" to Login or Register

posted
I have a dozen of these to restore and haven't found a good method over the last 15+ years. I am trying out the latest information I have gained to see how it works. This thread started under another part of this site. I am trying this out on a clock at the moment and enclose WIP. It will take me at least a month, working a lot of hours each weekend to get it looking good. Anyhow, I will take a few pictures as I find the time and share success or failure with you

http://www.aussieclocks.com/Marble%20clock%20case%20restoration/case%20repair.htm

Graham Mitchell

www.aussieclocks.com

Posts: 31 | Location: Roseville, NSW Australia | Registered: February 12, 2003
posted
I forgot to mention - click on the thumbnails for larger pictures and then on the X at the top right of your window to go back.
Is this what internet horology is all about??

Graham Mitchell

www.aussieclocks.com

posted
Graham, What a cool project. Looks like alot of work and alot of fun. Please keep us posted.

BTW, You have put together a great website. This is what its all about. Wink

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
We rise highest when we stoop to help others.

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 56
Picture of Victor Tang
posted
Graham,

Great pictures. I am eagerly awaiting the results of your effort as I have quite a few black marble clocks with lots of white spots on them.Big Grin

Vic
NAWCC Life Member 205-117905
Member Chapter 168
IHC Member 56
IHC Life Member (L2)

Posts: 29 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I've done some more work on my marble clock and have updated the pictures. I'm not sure if I'm happy with the result so far as the original shiny surface now looks a bit matt. The next stage of wax polishing may bring it back

http://www.aussieclocks.com/Marble%20clock%20case%20restoration/case%20repair.htm

Graham Mitchell

www.aussieclocks.com

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Graham, That was very interesting. Thanks for posting the step by step process. I Can'tt wait to see it after the waxing and polishing. Those are great looking clocks.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I put some soft polish on the case too early. I thought it may be a shortcut. Not so. I removed the polish and continued using crocus paper, probably the finest paper there is. This is starting to restore the shiney finish. It is a time consuming activity but the clock is starting to look acceptable,
Graham (see the last 2 pictures)

Graham Mitchell

www.aussieclocks.com

posted
I'm learning a few things with this case restoration.
* it is easy to scratch the marble when you are trying to remove white spots. I think you must keep your "wet and dry" free of any other grit/debris when you are applying it. I have some scratches on the case which I believe I created by not paying attention to this. Also it may be best to keep going with one piece of wet and dry till it's end on one area, as it by itself loses potency and becomes finer.
* don't forget we are talking 1200, 1600 papers. The finish is with crocus paper which I find brings up the original shine.
* It's a lot of work, boring work, which I have difficulty in maintaining interest. maybe that is why I have so many clocks half finished and a heap not started. The challenge to me is in finding a solution.
* I am not happy with my results so far on this clock, and will continue to work on the case
*But, it looks ten times better than it did.

Graham Mitchell

www.aussieclocks.com

posted
Graham,
It is looking real good. Keep it up I,m sure it will look great when it is done.
Thanks for the update.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Nearly finished. See last photo at

Compared to where this case started off it now looks good. There are many recipies to repair these slate ("marble") cases and this method has worked for me on one clock, so it's not a method well tried my me, and no guarantee it will work for others. When it is your own clock you can experiment.
I'll now try this method on another to see how that goes,
Graham

Graham Mitchell

www.aussieclocks.com

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Looks great Graham! Thatnk for the updates. Your trial will benefit many of us.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Graham,
Looks real good. I like it! Thanks for keeping us updated on your projects. Paitence is the key. (and alot of skill)

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America