• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Vintage Hamilton 917 conversion project "Click" to Login or Register

posted
I started this project after acquiring a few 43.5MM stainless steel cases (not including crown) with view backs and an inside diameter that would accept the standard Unitas 6497 movement. This led me to sizing up one of the vintage Hamilton 917 movements that grace my collection, always thinking how nice it would be to admire one of those beauties behind glass.....especially if it was Grandpa's railroad presentation watch! Here is the result after some thought and consideration to dial and winding crown.
Thanks for viewing
Dave

Posts: 110 | Location: Independence, Ohio USA | Registered: June 24, 2006
posted
Beautifully straight lined finish that Hamilton was know for.

posted
Large viewable area to enable all engraving to be seen.

posted
A nice conversation piece with plenty of detail. The 925 model is my next project.

posted
This is how it started life..

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A beauty, three questions; Do you have any more of these cases? Would you sell one? Where did the dial come from?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hello David,
The dial was printed here locally with a high gloss finish, it also can be done with a flat finish as well. The dial is attached directly to the movement, due to the case depth a dial plate was eliminated. I don't have any more complete cases at this time. The watch pictured has the original hour and minute hand furnished by Hamilton. This piece was a prototype and is for sale if you are interested. The 900 series Hamilton movements are great timekeepers as well.
Thanks for your reply and interest.
dave

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Dave,
Could you tell us where you found the cases? I would like to pursue one of my own project watches.
Thanks.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Hi Scott,
The case was purchased thru a "lot sale" where I wasn't sure what I was getting. After the sale I tried to purchase more from the seller but it was one of those things where they only had what was shown.
Thanks for the inquiry..this piece is for sale with an asking price of $350.00
dave

posted
Dave,

This is a fantastic piece. I found this thread while searching for information on the Hamilton 10size movements. I am looking to do a similar conversion project with either a 917 or 921 movement. I got really lucky and found someone willing to sell me a high-end case (sized for ETA 6497/98 movements) that is usually only available to watch manufacturers. I am now in the process of acquiring a movement, and then I can get started. So a few questions:

1. The 917 is a bit larger than the 6497, so I assume you had to mill out the inside of the case to accept the 917. Any problems there?

2. Does a standard 6497 dial fit the 917? Or did you have to do a custom dial?

3. What about the hands? Do you know the size hole required for the second, minute, and hour hands? I'd like to use different hands than the standard Hamilton hands, but not sure what size to order, and the best place to order from.

Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 23, 2008
posted
Hello Eric,
I chose to cut down the main plate of the 917 to accomodate the case I/D for the case I used was set up for 6497 as well. The dial was custom made for the feet do not match. I don't know the hole sizes for the 917 for I used the factory hands that were with the original 917 watch. They were in mint condition and fit the dial design to a tee.
The most important factor is the line up of the stem hole in the case to the movement when seated in its case, they must line up perfectly for if they don't the stem will be on a bind making winding,and setting a huge issue. A height gage and a depth gage works the best to take these measurements. The case info must be checked before any work can begin on the project.
Good luck with your project.
dave

posted
Hello! I would like to buy it if it is still for sale. Thank you, Harrison Todd

Posts: 1 | Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 16, 2009
posted
Hello Harrison,
I'm in the process of launching "my own" brand with the vintage movements. I will include a picture tonight for your viewing. The watch pictured is a protype with manufacturing to start in the next several months. This piece that will be pictured comes with a presentation walnut burled box with an extra oiled brown band and a set of screwdrivers to change out band. The bezel is fluted and is uni-directional for timing with large onion style crown with view back as well. Case is 44mm not including crown and is a lot larger than the one shown. We can also case up and dial "Grandpa's" presentation watch if desired, returning case back to owner. This would make for a very nice wearing experience for remembering a loved one!
Thanks for your inquiry
dave

posted
All,
Plase see new post DJR WATCH COMPANY