Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longines Clock "Click" to Login or Register

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Being a lover of Longines I searched and waited a long time for one of these to come my way. You can only imagine the shock when I opened the box and found this. The markers and logo are cast brass. Have a few ideas on a re-build but any insight would be appreciated on where to begin. The dial itself appears to be thin opaque acrylic which I can get but the lense is thick curved glass. Could always use the logo and markers and build a monster size wall watch. This will be an challenging restoration.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
posted
Sorry I dont have anything to say but a big. Frown Frown Frown Frown Frown Frown

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...consider this the before shot...the King of 'Razzle-Dazzle' will find a way to restore it!!!Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Much thought and consideration has gone into re-creating a new clock with what could be salvaged from the shipping disaster.

The movement has been cleaned and rewired and now runs great.
The case has been stripped bare and totally interior white washed for maximum light reflection. All wiring has been replaced along with a new cooler running ballast. I also chose to add a toggle light switch so the light wouldn't have to be on all the time.

The dial is my own design and will use the salvaged Longines markers and logo. All engraving was done on the computerized machining center at my shop. I chose to use white translucent acrylic for the new dial. Currently I am hand enamel painting all the engraving and will finish off with installing the polished Longines markers.

The lense and bezel are last and will be made from Lexan bullet-proof plexiglass. Hopefully I'll wind up with a clock that can't be smashed.

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Ralph,you are truly amazing! Of course,many of us do some things well,even expertly,but you a master of your craft..........congratulations!!!

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
It looks great Ralph!! Be sure to put up some pictures of the finished product.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...fantastic!...btw: good to see/have you back Tom...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Project completed!

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

How wonderful Ralph!

And you can test it out by shipping it over to me!

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine

Chapter 185 Administrative Secretary
Chapter 185 Membership and Mart Coordinator
NAWCC Member 157487
IHC Life Member (L4) 164

Smile

Posts: 5206 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great job Ralph. It has just the kind of flair that Longines is known for!!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Very nice job, Ralph.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
Yes,
that is a nice clock and you did a great job. I had a chance to buy a Longines auto wind watch in Aruba but I could not get the price I wanted. I actually ended up with a Sector which I "stole".

Viele Grüße

David Fahrenholz
Fahrenholz Clock & Watch
Timeless Service

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Thank you everyone for the kind remarks,

and for David.......Wunschen Sie alles gutes.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Ralph,

Like everything you do this is absolutely beautiful. I look forward to seeing it in person one day!

Topflite workmanship in every way.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002