Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Sangamo movement question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Could someone enlighten me on the size of the Sangamo movement. I have seen the Sangamo Special listed as a 17 size. Is the Sangamo also a 17 size or a 16 size?

Thanks

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Edward

Below is a scan from the Meggard& Ehrhardt book

Tom

Sangamo

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom,
Thank you for the reply and information.
It appears that only the Sangamo Special was made in 17 size. The Sangamo and some of the Sangamo Specials were made in 16 size.
I have found a Sangamo in what looks like the origional case. The case is very worn and has a replacement crown. I could possibly pick it up for a very reasonable price.
I was considering trying to find a period case and crown for it. Knowing that it would be very difficult to find a 17 size was a drawback to purchasing it.
Thanks again,

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Edward
I don't know anything about them to offer an opinion on buying one or not. I guess I would like to own one just to have it.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ed, ALL Sangamo and Sangamo Special watches are worth saving. If the price sounds fair and the watch is running it is worth having. Keep the movement in that case for it's own protection and find a good case later.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Ed,

If you had the serial number it would help to determine if it is a 16 size and whether it is a model 9 or 10. The model 9 was not cased at the factory so a period correct case would do you just fine. If it is a model 10, in 16 or 17 size they came from the factory cased. An easy way to distinguish between the two is the model 9 had a jeweled barrel and the model 10 a motor barrel (three screws holding the winding barrel together). The 17 size was the same as the 16 size except it had a little larger diameter pillar plate for the larger dial.

Steve