Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My 169 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1508
posted
Hi everyone! I have a 1931 Illinois 169 Model 9 19j pocket watch that I absolutely love! I know that it was made under Hamilton management at the Illinois factory. I was wondering if anybody had more information about this watch. I realize it's NOT a RR grade, but this little feller is so darned accurate. And I love that dial, even though it's a bit dirty and scuffed up. Thanks. Regards, Brad

IHC Member 1508
posted
here:

IHC Member 1508
posted
another:

IHC Member 1508
posted
and another:

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Brad,

Serial number would help ....can you post it?

Steve

IHC Member 1508
posted
Sure Steve. I don't know why I didn't post it! It is 5429265. Regards, Brad

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Brad,

It's a Model 9 from a run of 2000 in 1931 of which there were only 5,190 produced between 1919 and 1932. Not a common watch but not of the mass produced numbers either.

You may notice it has what was called "Friction set" balance jewel setting as it was pressed into the balance arm and not screwed in.

One thing I find interesting about this grade is that there was one run of 90 pieces in 1919 and then never made again until 1930. I seriously doubt the first run had the pressed in jewel. This would be a rare watch indeed.

Yours came out of the third of five total runs and it is a nice looking one with the 24 hour dial.

Steve

IHC Member 1508
posted
Thank you Steve. I did notice the friction-fit balance jewel setting. From what I've gathered, this was a Hamilton idea. I don't know why they did it that way. I have a 167 17j movement of the same vintage that I'm going to have repaired someday. It's balance jewel setting looks like a monkey took a screwdriver to put it in! I'm wondering if that piece is hard to find. The dial on my 169 came off of my 167. Haven't seen another one like it yet. Regards, Brad

IHC Member 1508
posted
I'm also curious if there's any way to clean this dial without damaging it. It is a metal dial. Brad

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Brad,

I believe that friction set jewel was a cost cutting idea. We were still in a depression at the time.

Try searching throug the archives on this site...there is a lot of information on cleaning metal dials here.

Steve

IHC Member 1508
posted
Thank you very much, Steve. Will do. Regards, Brad

IHC Member 1508
posted
Well, I've been through the various posts on dial cleaning, and it seems that, whatever I use on it will ruin it. So, I guess I'm just going to have to live with it. Brad

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
You might try a magic eraser. The Sangamo clock guy that is in my are that fixed my Clock used one on my painted dial. It did a bang up job. Just do it slow and around the edge. To make sure it does not remove any of the paint. Call me if you have any questions 618-580-7525