• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Serial Number Help Wanted "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have this listed in another thread as well.

I have an 18s Illinois serial number for someone to look up if they don't mind. It is 883126. It is a friend of mine's grandfather's grandfathers watch, so it has been in the family quite some time! it is in remarkably good shape, and I will try to post some pictures as I can. I found the date in the Complete Guide as 1888, but I can't seem to get the size, and grades to match up in any of the diagrams there. It is KW, KS, but the kicker is that the only jewels I can see thus far is in the top of the balance. I admit, I have not pulled it completely apart, as I have not done this before on a full plate, but I would think there would be jeweling on at least the fork as well. Anyway,it also seems to be an all brass plates design, maybe gilt, I am not sure. Also, it is in a coin silver hunting case, with a few "love taps" but it polished up quite nicely! The balance moves somewhat freely, when prodded, but the mainspring is broken, so I will have to get to that first! It is also missing the seconds hand and the key.
Sorry this is so long, but I am new, and didn't know what info to include.
Regards,

Glenn Howell

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Glenn,

According to the "Illinois Watch Company Encyclopedia" by Bill Meggers and Roy Ehrhardt your friends Illinois watch number 883126 turns out to be an 18-size, Key-Wind-Key Set, Hunter (all KWKS were considered hunters), 7-Jewel, Model 1, 1888 production and most likely will have "Illinois Watch Company" markings.

This is a fairly common watch, but of course the family connection makes it very special.

Check page 292, upper left in "The Complete Guide to Watches" for the "Model 1, 18 size, hunting, key wind & set" line drawing. Below, movement image of number 2357 which is a Model 1 Illinois Bunn from my collection that I have provided for comparison purposes.

Hope this is of help,

Lindell

These early watches are an interesting part of our history...

IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

Need help identifying an Illinois 16s 17j pocket watch. Serial number 2,167,011. This is a getty model watch which the seller states is a grade 176 but it is not a hunter movement. It is also stated it is from 1909.

Not sure how to put a link to the item #140202622112
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=004

IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
A picture

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Keith,

According to the "Illinois Encyclopedia" that is from a run consisting of 2167001-2167100 in 1909 production. It is a 16-size Lever-Set, Open Face, 17-Jewel, Model 5, Grade 176 of which only about 2,000 were produced. The Grade 176 were produced in both Hunter and Open-Face as well as 17, 19 and 21-Jewel versions.

You've found an uncommon and interesting watch.

Lindell

Wink