• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Sangamo Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Was the Sangamo the first model that Illinois produced with a solid gold train?

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Steve,
According to Illinois Watch Co. by Meggers and Ehrhardt, page 135, the grade 179 was the predecessor to the Sangamo grade and it has the solid gold train also.
RR

posted
Thanks Richard.

posted
Hello All: I just joined ihc185 as a new member and have just read previous posts on the Sangamo watch. I was amazing how much knowledge some of you Illinois experts know about the differences in the Sangamo and the Sangamo Special. I have a small hobby collection of antique pocket watches and have just attended the Ft. Mitchell Show. To my amazement several older members at the show reviewed my Sangamo/Getty Movement #1418489 which I believe to be c/1879. Several at the show called it a great 23J completely original HC. The case #'s match the movement and the words of several at the show one of the most beautiful ex-heavy gold HC. Since I collected the watches in the late 1960-1980-s without any knowledge of watches you can understand my surprise.

My wife and I would like to utilize ihc185 for educational purposes and at this point do not have pictures of the watch. We plan to do so in the very near future. Thanks to anyone that may want to respond to this post.

IHC Life Member
posted
Welcome Sam!

The knowledge base here at IHC185 is amazing.I think I learn something new every visit.
Looking forward to your photos.

Welcome aboard to you both!!

Steve

posted
Thanks for making me feel welcome Steve. You are my very first post message. Have a great evening!!

Sam

posted
Sam welcome to IHC185,

According to Illinois Watch Co. by Meggers and Ehrhardt your watch was made in 1898. It is from the first run of Sangamo 23J Model 4 from 1,418,201-1,418,500. The book is old and does show an earlier run of Model 4 Sangamo from 1,417,901-1,418,000 which doesn't list the jewel count and no examples from that run had been reported prior to the book being written so it may be the second run however. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.

RR

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome aboard Sam! Like Steven and Richard, I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Best Regards,

Ed

posted
Thanks to each of you for the WELCOME! Thank you Richard for the great info from your Meggers and Ehrhardt book. Can I purchase this book and if so where? Thanks again,

Sam

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Sam,

You are reminding me I have a couple extra copies of this long out-of-print book that should be sold in our trading mart or auctions. Smile Meanwhile, you and everyone else, feel free to post your questions and we will always do our best to answer them.

Lindell

Wink

posted
To all those with interest: This is our first attempt to make pictures of watches and could never figure how to make the inside of the dust cover and the inside of the back case without reflections. Hopefully you can tell the Getty Movement SANGAMO/model 4 (Thanks to Richard) #l418489-23 Ruby Jewels and dated 1898/14k Solid Gold HC (Extra Heavy). Richard also checked the Meggers/Ehrhardt and determined either first run or maybe second run. Now for rest of the story as we try to add the image. Thanks.

Sam

Illinois Watch Co., Sangamo #1418489

posted
Only front came through so will send others separately. Sam

posted
Now the dial. Sam

posted
Movement. Sam

posted
Another movement try. Sam

posted
Sam,
Thanks you for the pictures they look great. That's a nice looking Sangamo. The Illinois book is showing approximately 700 movements like yours were produced. The dial on your watch goes great with the fancy case.

The Illinois book can be found on eBay by doing a search for, ILLINOIS American Pocket Watches Volume Two Roy Ehrhardt. It's available on CD or a copy of the book from IHC Member Bill Selover "partimeart" on eBay. The CD is currently $20.00 less than what I paid and it's a great resource except the pictures aren't very clear. Haven't heard anything but good feedback on the book copies and they're relatively inexpensive compared to an original.

RR

IHC Member 1338
posted
Sam;

Welcome to 185! That wavy ribbon 23J hunter is
one of my favorite watches. They didn't get a whole lot better than that. Nice Watch!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
Hello Richard: I have been trying to find the book on EBAY sometime and finally found Vol. II by typing in your info on Google. We bought for $15 plus $4/19.00. Have not received yet and will post the contact to later this week. (Have to learn how to post direct links.) Thanks again for helping us and hopefully we can post additional photos of this beautiful solid gold HC. Sam

posted
Hello, All: We have made additional photos. Front. Sam

Sangamo #1418489

posted
Back. Sam

Sangamo #1418489

posted
Dust Cover. Sam

Sangamo #1418489

posted
Movement. Sam

Sangamo #1418489

posted
Close-up, top. Sam

Sangamo #1418489

posted
Close-up, bottom. Sam

Sangamo #1418489

posted
Case Markings. Sam

Sangamo #1418489

posted
Dial. Sam

Sangamo #1418489

posted
Hello Richard and others: We have posted additional images and believe we have improved since April posting. Thanks for your information. Sam