Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Complete Burlington Watch Catalog "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is an octagonal 12s dial. It is just like dial "B" on p. 9:

posted
Here is the case back; just like case #52 on page 16, with engraving script like the one illustrated on p. 22, #98, but with a replacement bow and aparently a new crown as well.

posted
Here is the casemark:

posted
And finally the movement:

posted
Watch #1 serial number is 2,394,716; which Meggers and Ehrhardt's Illinois book lists as a grade 274 with 19 jewels, adjusted to 3 positions (as you would expect with a Burlington, which was marketed to be a high quality watch but priced lower, though I do believe that the bar movements would take more time and labor than the three-quarter type to produce), dated 1911.
Watch #2 is serial number 3,238,363; grade 275, 21 jewels, also adjusted to 3 pos., 1917. This would support the assumption that the hunting movement was earlier than the catalog.
I would like to invite everyone to post photos of their Burlington watches here.

posted
I do think that it is a bit surprising that a catalog of this vintage (I suppose about 1915) would picture strap watches (p. 22) since the story has always been that watches were not worn on the wrist (by men) until WWI.

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Steve,
Thanks for sharing the catalog and your watches.
Here's my collection of 16s Burlingtons.
RR

posted
Engraved cases.
Two eagles and three horses. Two are hunters and the eagle with the shield is an open face.

posted
Movements

posted
Here's the Bull Dog. I think the dial on this watch is incorrect but I still like it. From what I've read the dial is supposed to be signed Burlington Bull Dog. The case is the optional engraved No. 185 in green gold filled. William White custom cut the Heavy Crystal based on the illustration below.
RR

posted
Approximately 1926 Burlington catalog page.

posted
Those are beautiful watches. I think the Getty models are especially interesting. Thanks Richard.

posted
Steve,
Thanks again. Currently there's an octagonal watch on ebay and the crown looks similar to yours so maybe it's original. I also like the Getty models and missed out on a couple up for auction recently. Here's the octagonal on ebay.

posted
Here's my latest 21j 16s aquisition. Page 12 scene 19 on the front, scene 21 on the back.

posted
This is my first Burlington 21j in a hunter case . I was surprised to find it's pendant set because my other Burlington hunters are lever set but they're 19j. I looked through the catalog Steve posted here and was happy to find the 21j hunters are in fact pendant set. The other difference is this case has a curvette back whereas the others have a display.
RR

posted
Thanks again, Richard. You have a great collection of Burlington watcher there. I think it is interesting that they wanted to appeal to the merchant marines market.

Steve G.

posted
Steve,

The marketing is interesting as P.1 of the catalogue shows a Navy ship. Someday I'll have to add a Burlington with a Battleship case to my collection. Here's a post by Lindell with one of the Battleship designs Burlington offered.

Two of a Kind Burlington Battleship Cases! Unexpected "Cousins" Pocket Watches!

The Bull Dog in my collection is now complete. The dial came from a non-working movement with the wrong case. This watch was purchased here at the IHC185 Trading Mart •• MEMBERS ONLY WATCH AND CLOCK AUCTIONS ••

RR

Burlington Bull Dog