• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need Info on Illinois Pocketwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
First off let me say this is a great site, found it while doing research into a watch that was given to me by my dad. Not sure where he got it, but I've had it for a while and never realized how old it actually was. So here's what I have.

The number inside the watch is 3255747, it says 17 jewels and on the back cover it has Star W.C. Co, Nickel 9078900. There are some #'s inscribed on the watch as well, looks like 47279. As near as I can tell the watch was made between 1918 and 1919, it's a pretty plain watch but I'm sure there is some sort of history to it. Here are some picture, not the greatest. Any additional info on the watch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Welcome to our group Jeremy. Your watch is a 1919 vintage Grade 304 model 7 Illinois 17 Jewel movemnt watch. This represents one of the most proven and serviceable Illinois movements. It was designed to give first class time service to the wearer with little concern over day to day use. The Illinois main reference explains a little more about this open face version of the 304 grade in the clip I added below. The most important part is this was a very popular grade of the post WWI era causing Illinois to produce nearly 70,000 of these for the consumer markt. That means the Jeweler's who sold them really liked them too!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I marked up a quick photo of a grade 305 17 Jewel Illinois I have on the bench right now which is the same as yours but for a little gold color "dazzle" to impress the more "spendy" types. I have marked on this picture the "false Bridge" platework that Illinois used on this design which proved to make for a much more robust and serviceable movement. Everything enclosed by the arrows is actually a single piece of metal cut to look like it is not. This is an important distinction because in the earlier (under s/n 3,000,000 or so) production Illinois actually manufactured this style with a separate middle bridge. A nice thought but much fussier to keep in service. This watch design you have an example of is proof that "less is more" in design.

posted
David,

I have a post with pics of my illinois "Private Label Becks Special",grade 304 but in 21 jewels.I understood illinois watch co. made only 60 movements of grade 304 in 21 jewels.Do you know the reasons?
Thanks Smile

posted
David, thank you for all of the information. This is great.. Leads me to my next question, since the watch is not working right now, is it worth it repair, and are there anyone you can recommend that would perform this type of service?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Yes it is worth repairing, just contact Chris Abell;
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3006013713/m/7771058762

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Andrea, I really enjoyed your post on the Beck's special. I know little more than what is written in your post, except I knew a "Beck" family in Minnesota who were small time "Beer Baron's".

posted
I'll certainly get in touch with Chris for the repair work, any idea on what a functioning watch of this type is worth. My guess was maybe $100 or so, but I have no idea. Thank you again for all the help.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
David,

Since you have gone through the trouble of marking up the false bridge, can you show a version of the true bridge for comparison. I am just curious so as I can spot the difference in the future.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jeremy, your watch is worth fixing and keeping. Especially as a "carry" watch. After Chris has finished it you will have a reliable timepiece to show people and also to enjoy yourself. The "value" of this is only going to grow, and presently must be kept "in the eye of the beholder" . . . priceless.

Steve you always want to see stuff right! Cool

I "juistr happen to have examples of a "4th bridge" and "false Bridge" handy. These are a 19 Jewel (4th bridge) and 23 Jewel (false bridge) Sangamo Specials;

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
There are two "easy" ways to tell the difference.
1. The 4th bridge production was changed to "false" bridges at or about serial number 2,868,401.

2. The "gap" of the false bridge to the motor barrel bridge under the small winding wheel is about 2X the gap on the 4th bridge models.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Dave,

Thanks, I have heard the term "false bridge" used before but never really understood it. Now I do. I also notice there is a little more bridge material, where the "Jeweled Barrel" is written, is this also a clue?

Thanks,

Steve