• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

BUNN SPECIAL 18 SIZE 21 RUBY JEWELS INFORMATION NEEDED "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Andrea,

First of all I am really sorry the numbers did not match. The difference in the lettering inlay is what got me suspecting something was up.

After looking in the Meggers Illinois book I found a picture of a movement that had the same style of lettering as yours. The discription is below and looks like it would match yours. It also has a barrel bridge that is of the same configuration as the Bunn Special. It was not marked Safety pinion but may have been made after they dropped that from the movement. I would have scanned the photo as well but it was of poor quality and would not have been ledgible. The picture is Item #2 on page 97 if someone cares to comment on my guess if they have the book.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Andrea,

I went ahead and scanned it anyway....maybe you get the gist of it. I would have guessed it came from a 17 jewell since so many were made.

Steve

posted
Steve,
thank you very much for your infos. Smile
Here is one,but all the ones i have seen they do not have marked "safety pinion"..I have to check again all teh serial numbers ,the jewerly man wa on rush and just told me the last four digits numbers..

Andrea

posted
and here another one..tomorrow i will get all the serial numbers so we finally will be ableexactly to tell which movement the barrel bridge belongs Smile
Andrea

posted
and this one looks like...I will have the complete serial numbers today.. Smile
Andrea

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Andrea,

That one is a Model 6 grade 64 17 jewel.

Steve

posted
Steve, Smile

the serial number is 1,373,365..yes grade 64..made in the year 1897 from a run of 200.From serial numbers 1,373,301 to 1,373,500.
Finally resolved the "mistery".. Razz

Andrea

posted
Steve/Tom,

Thank you very much for all your help and having shared your toughts and opinions with me.I did really appreciate it. Smile
It is still a nice piece and a very good runner.
Grazie,
Andrea

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Anyone have an idea where this Illinois might fall into the world of Illinois pocket watches.

The serial number I think would place it in a run of A. Lincoln 18s watches, it has the same markings on the movement as a Lincoln but is marked Special.

Tom

movement

posted
TOM,
IF THE SERIAL NUMBERS UNDER THE BRIDGE MATCH THE SERIAL NUMBERS ON THE MOVEMENT I THINK YOU HAVE ONE OF THE KIND WATCH!YOUR WATCH IS FROM THE RUN 2,060,701-2,061,000 MADE IN 1908.MADE OF THIS MODEL 10,220 OF RUNS 34 BETWEEN 1907 AND 1913.MOST OF THEM MARKED "A.LINCOLN",SOME "PENSYLVANIA SPECIAL" AND VERY A FEW WITH PRIVATE LABEL.I NEVER SEEN MARKED LIKE YOUR,IAM SURE OTHER PEOPLE IN THIS FORUM CAN HELP MORE THEN ME. Smile
ANDREA

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Tom,

Have you checked the numbers under the barrel bridge yet. Everthing I have found says A. Lincoln but that does not mean it is necessarily.

Steve

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Everyone,

Recently we saw in this very topic that just as dials and cases are easily changed so are 18-size Barrel Covers so there is every reason to approach unusual watches with skepticism.

However, I would expect everything to match on this one because it has been established that apparently it was not uncommon for blocks of numbers assigned to the "A. Lincoln Grade" being used for movements with other markings. A movement marked "Special" as this one is was in most instances ordered as a private label would be. The point of these was most often so that competing retail jewelers could have "different" watches.

Consider this scenario, you are a retailer and nearby is another retailer that also sells Illinois watches. You tell the factory representative you need something to point to, something to offer that would give you a selling edge. He offers you movements unlike those of your competitor, something with a different damaskeening pattern and a "Special" something you can point to that will show you have a "Special" watch to sell.

That scenario fits perfectly with the facts we find in the factory records showing that not all of the "A. Lincoln Grade" carry "A. Lincoln" markings, it is true of other grades as well.

And so that's my view, what is yours?

Lindell

Wink

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks for the replies everyone, I have yet to get the watch. As soon as I do I will check the numbers & see if they match. With the small knowledge I have about these things I had not been able to find another one like it.

It has a Illinois Watch Co. dial but as Lindell mentioned those can be changed so if all the numbers match I may still never know if it was a private label or what, again that is only based on what I know, which would almost fill a thimble.

Hopefully I will have it in a day or two.

dial

posted
Tom,
It looks like a winner to my even less trained eye and knowledge. But tell you what, if you want, just tell the seller to send it directly to me, and I will give you what you paid plus $25.00 sight unseen, I'll gamble on it.
What you say, just kidding, unless you do like the offer.
Bill

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well Bill, that depends on how high can I go with what I tell you I spent?

If it all matches up I might have to keep this one for a while, it might not be worth anymore than any other watch but it would be kind of neat to say you have the only one like it. With my luck, after I get it 1000 ones just like it will show up on ebay.

The seller I bought it from appears to deal mostly in what I call knick-knack stuff & women's jewelery, so they don't appear to do to many watches.

Tom

posted
I have a watch very similar to the one posted on February 15, 2009, s/n 1634243. The focus of the responses seemed to be on finding out where the "swapped" plate had come from (which it seems you were all successful in doing, congrats) but mine is complete and I am having trouble finding others like it, beyond this. Can you tell me what, if anything, you found out about the main movement and its circular rose/copper inlay. My s/n is 1597035. I think it's from 1902 or so. It was purchased (perhaps used) in Canada by my great grandfather in approx 1905-1907. Here is a link to my forum question/pics:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...1029912/m/6813979657

posted
Hi Andrea, I have just joined to add a note to your thread. I have an identical movement down to the same detailing and damanskeening. It is in a heavy flip out case marked with a Patented Trade mark logo of a crescent and a small star and 364b marked inside the case. it has a metal champagne dial and has the serial number 2312591. It is the same in every detail as your one. It is one of my favourite Bunns to carry. I also have 4 60 hour Bunn specials one a canadian railway which is also nice. So even though my serial number is much higher it looks identical. I am trying to learn more about them. Cheers Terry

Terry Doherty