Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois grade 178 100 produced of open face "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I was categorizing some of my watches to my Watch book and I came this Grade 178 and thought I would share it. Dial is marked Adams Street Special Adjusted. This watch is not even listed in the price guide. 100 made with 10% surviving would equal 10.

IHC Life Member
posted
The serial # is 1365493. From 1898

IHC Life Member
posted
It looks like i need to get this watch out and clean the dial. The main wheel has some discolor But will be impossible to find another.

IHC Life Member
posted
I love the movement's architecture, with the 3 fingers!

Best Regards, Dan

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Very nice looking watch.

I didn't know the following & thought I would post it.

In the gold book "American Pocket Watches" by Meggers it states that the Adams Street Special Adjusted was made for the Marshall Field Company.

Looking on the web Marshall Field Co. was located on Adam Street in Chicago.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you Tom. Now that I looked it up they where not rail road watch inspectors. But the 178 was a Rail road grade by the Vol 2 of Bill Meyers Illinois book.

IHC Life Member
posted
Eugene- That style wheel is also found on "A. Lincoln" grade Getty models, so you may be able to find an appropriate parts movement.

Bob

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Eugene

I have a parts movement for an Illinois Getty but the wheel has a scroll pattern that I don't see on yours but I thought I would offer it if you could use it.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Thank You Tom, I have a few Getty movements I,ll have to see if any of mine will fit. I think the ones I have have the incorrect pattern on the wheel also. When I get back in town I,ll look them over. They also made to different style where the mainspring barrel goes thru the Winding wheel.

If memory serves me one has a square hole and one has a D shape.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a photo of my other GRADE 178.

A Link.

IHC Life Member
posted
The movement is marked Adjusted, 17 RUBY Jewel, Safety Pinion, Serial # 1365488. The case is marked Dueber Special with some gold worn off.